How Much For The Fish?

Decorating By sarzoemom Updated 15 Oct 2006 , 11:15pm by sarzoemom

sarzoemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarzoemom Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 9

I have a request for a grooms cake. They want a 1/2 sheet cake with a 3D fish on top of it like the one in this picture. [img] http: //www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-59526.html [/img]
My question is how much should I charge? They want it in buttercream or cream cheese frosting, on a lemon yellow cake with no filling. I am new to sellling and am not sure how much to charge. My gut is saying $55. Is this good? Should I go higher of lower? Just not sure.
Thanks

8 replies
sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 12:50am
post #2 of 9

I'd say that you are in the ballpark. I defintely wouldn't charge less than $55.00.
Good Luck!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:37am
post #3 of 9

I would probably charge $55 for the fish alone. With a 12x18 under it, I wouldn't do it for anything under $100.

How much are your supples (cake, icing, boxes and boards) going to cost you. Once you know that you can have a better idea of how much to charge so you are making money and not short changing yourself. 3D stuff adds to the cost too.

sarzoemom Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 9

MMmmm, I probably have about $25 in supplies in it. I guess maybe $75 would be a better price. Here is a practice fish that I did for her. she wanted it to look as realistic as I could get it without using fondant. So I am painting on buttercream with luster dust and veg shortening.
LL

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 9

The practice fish looks great! Definitely at least $75 or $80--I can't tell how big your fish is. I charge $50 for just a 12x18 with nothing on top. Think about how many hours are involved for you!

sarzoemom Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 6:16am
post #6 of 9

Thanks! THe practice fish is 10". And I have only been charging $35 for a 12x18 but that is because I am new at this. I guess I really should go up a bit. My husband says that I am undercharging just because I put so much time into my cakes. I guess I will know better for next time.

wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 11:57am
post #7 of 9

Pricing for these special cakes is really a mind boggler. My boss ordered this one for her husbands birthday. She paid me $40.00 for it. I will charge at least $50.00 if anyone else should order one. It was fairly easy and lots of fun to decorate but time consuming. I used a 9x13x2 inch pan and home made fondant from this site. I packaged it in a $2.39 box from Michaels which made the presentation look professional. Another one for my portfolio. Thats the way I'm looking at it. Pam from Bama
LL

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 12:12pm
post #8 of 9

We charge $50 for ours on a 13x9 - its covered in fondant and uses lots of luster dust and chalks. Look in my partner SueBee's photos - its in there.

sarzoemom Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 9

Wow, those are great fish! I wish I could do this one in fondant but the bride hates fondant she said. So it is taking more time. That is what my main thing is, how do you charge for time?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%