? About Using Confectioners Glaze

Decorating By sweetamber Updated 13 Oct 2006 , 2:47pm by LorraineF

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 14

I can't seem to find a previous thread on this...If anyone here has experience with using confectioners glaze (the stuff you have to order- not powdered sugar glaze icon_wink.gif )-I have 2 questions:

1) how long does it take to dry? I need to glaze these fondant tiles with it and want to know if I should do them the day before I put them on the cake or if I can do it the morning of.

2) should I be concerned about my colors running? They will be absolutely dry by the time I glaze them.

Please someone know the answer to this! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

13 replies
justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 14

you can contact prettycake, I believe she was going to be buying some.

PSLCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PSLCakeLady Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 14

I think I saw Nicholas Lodge use it on something before and he used a thin layer application and let it dry.

By the way...those are really cool. I'd love to see the finished product. You did a fab' job. thumbs_up.gif

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 14

Howdy doodie,

Here is the link:

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=2&productId=617861

to the confectioners glaze.. icon_smile.gif

sweetamber Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks for the link prettycake, but I already ordered it from them and it will be waiting for me in Albuquerque when I get there next week. What I really need to know is the answers to my 2 questions- how long to dry and will it cause my colors to bleed? Hopefully someone who has experience with this product will see this!

PSLCakeLady, thanks for the compliment! I am so excited about these cakes and I will definitely post pics when I get back!

Amber

sweetamber Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 14

BUMP- anyone?

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 14

I use confectioner's glaze a lot so I hope I can help you! If the colours are completely dry you can paint the confectioner's glaze over the top - brush a think layer on, let it dry and then repeat. One layer doesn't have quite the glossy look I like and if you put it on too thickly it can blob and can start to streak the colours. You need special stuff to get it off your brush though as it makes the brush go stiff. Each layer takes about an hour to dry enough to put another layer on and I would recomment leaving it overnight to be completely sure or you can get fingerprints in it as it remains slightly tacky for a while. I hope I've helped.

LorraineF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorraineF Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 14

I used the glaze last week, and I found that Dawn dish detergent applied directly to the brush (don't dilute it) and massaged in really well will get it out. It may take a couple of applications to get the brush clean. Then you don't have to buy the special solvent.

sweetamber Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:21pm
post #9 of 14

YES!! Thank you so much icon_biggrin.gif . I knew there had to be someone who knew!

So 2 thin layers will give me a good shine? I also bought the stuff to get it off the brush, it it supposed to be a thinner for the glaze too. Do you thin it with anything or use it straight out of the bottle? Thanks again- I would love to experiment with this before the wedding, but I had everything shipped out there to N.M. and won't get there until next week icon_cry.gif

Amber

sweetamber Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:24pm
post #10 of 14

LorraineF- sending you a PM was going to be my next step icon_wink.gif !

How did you like using the glaze? How long did it take to dry? Did it give you the effect you wanted? Pictures? icon_biggrin.gif

Amber

LorraineF Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:28pm
post #11 of 14

It's the froggy cake--two thin coats gave a nice glossy finish. On the lily pad, I found that I needed to work quickly to avoid brush marks--the frog was easier. I left it to dry for several hours-it does remain tacky for awhile. If you are working on a flat surface, try laying your brush almost flat to avoid brush marks. Good luck!

LorraineF Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:30pm
post #12 of 14

Oh I forgot to add that your tiles are gorgeous!

sweetamber Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:40pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks- I love your froggy cake! And the water lilies are beautiful!

So I should probably try to glaze these the day before so they'll be dry enough to handle. Did you thin the glaze out or apply it directly from the bottle?

I'm not too worried about brush marks since these are supposed to look like hand painted tiles, but thanks for the tip- I really appreciate all your help icon_smile.gif !

Amber

LorraineF Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:47pm
post #14 of 14

I used it straight from the bottle--shake it up really well, pour some out into a disposable cup, and just brush it on with a soft, dry, flat brush (water makes it gummy almost instantly). Wait an hour or two, then coat again, and I'd let them dry overnight. Better safe than sorry!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%