Help With Colors And Details!

Decorating By Elfie Updated 13 Oct 2006 , 4:49pm by Elfie

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 4

Usually color is the least of my problems when decorating, but for some reason I am really struggling with this cake icon_cry.gif . Any help would be appreciated. First let me describe the concept...

Cupcake cake, frosted with chocolate buttercream, decorated with store bought coffins and tombstones. The coffins are green (mummy), orange(frankenstein) and purple (dracula) and will be partially buried in piles of dirt (chocolate cookie crumbs). I am planning on doing some tufts of piped grass (juniper green marbled with brown) around tombstones and randomly. I was thinking of doing a two color reverse shell border, but what colors? The chocolate frosting won't be too dark (more milk chocolate). I was thinking some fondant ghosts would be cool, but I'm not sure how to make them-fondant draped over mini-marshmallows? What other details?

This cake is for my DD's Brownie party and I want it to be memorable. I'm fairly busy these days, but have devoted about 6 hours that day to decorating this cake-so any ideas and tips would be appreciated. Oh and any ideas for the cake board would be appreciated.

3 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:57am
post #2 of 4

Sounds like a cool cake. I'd pick 2 of your coffin colors for your border. The ghosts sound cool. Fondant over mini marshmallows would be pretty tiny, right? Is that what you want, or would regular marshmallows be better? I don't know what your scale is.

I think it sounds great. Post a picture!

Rachel8648 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel8648 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 3:11am
post #3 of 4

Hello there,
I would maybe do a burnt orange and a mustard yellow, I would stick with the fall/halloween colors! Good Luck

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 4

I'm going to do a test run of the recipe this weekend and play with some colors. If all goes well I'll post pictures of the finished cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%