Good Tasting Fondant

Decorating By Marissaisabel Updated 18 Oct 2006 , 10:28pm by HollyPJ

Marissaisabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marissaisabel Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 17

Hello out there I wanted to if any of you know which fondant taste better.
Has and one tried FONDX or SATIN ICE. Which is better in taste. I have tried Satin ice and taste like cotton candy to me. I just want to hear what you out like also. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 17

I have been using Satin Ice for a few years now, and love it. It tastes good, and have never had a problem with it. I just went to a cake show this weekend, and the company that makes Fondx was there giving out samples... I tried it, and not bad! I just ordered a big bucket, and am going to try it out! (It is cheaper than Satin Ice).

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 17

I use Satin ice all the time, I have never used Fondx. I like the tase of satin ice, but I think choco pan has the best taste of any fondant I have tasted. I use Satin ice because it taste good and it is cheaper than choco pan.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 17

i use pettin ice. i have not had a problem with the taste. i used to get this one out of canada, but i dont remember the name of it but they stopped making it. that one was just like cotton candy.

you guys can knead in some of the cany oils to flavour your fondant though. thought i would add that.

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 17

I just have to put in a good word for marshmmallow fondant (MMF) recipe from this site. For $2-$3 you can make the same amount I just paid $14 for black Satin Ice. Unless you just don't like the mess of making your own. I use a lot of fondant and I just can't afford to buy it.

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 17

Dumb question. Where can I get Satin Ice? icon_redface.gif

PSLCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PSLCakeLady Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 17

Fondx is pretty good. I think Santin Ice is a bit softer but Fondx has a great working consistency. The taste is good and you can buy it in white chocolate flavor or raspberry. You can also flavor your fondant.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 17

LOve the price of MMF, taste is ok - however I have broken a Kitchen Aid (the BIG one) AND a 7 Qt DeLonghi mixer making it. I know I know I am supposed ot take it out and knead it by hand before that happens. I have also damaged my rotator cuff and am now in physical THeraphy 2x a week. What am I doing wrong>

Have to buy it now - using Satin Ice, Choco Pan is too soft for me after using MMF. Will try Fondex though!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 10:06pm
post #9 of 17

I have never been a fan of any fondant as far as taste and mouth texture go, but after someone recommended Fondx I can say I actually thought it was pretty good. It smells great and tastes good too. I like Stain Ice but have only tried the black, which smells and tastes so good. I also love the taste of Pettinice dark chocolate fondant. Of the three I love the way Fondx rolls and handles. I have not had much success with MMF but maybe it's just me. It was either too soft and stretchy or too firm and crumbly.

atkin600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atkin600 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 12:58am
post #10 of 17

I don't care for the taste of MMF, so I use Toba Garrett's fondant recipe. It has a milder taste.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 1:12am
post #11 of 17

I am about to buy some FondX tonight. I found it two places online: cakedeco.com and caljavaonline.com (they are the company that makes it, I think). I haven't decided which company to use yet--I need to look into shipping costs. Any recommendations?

I don't mind the taste of MMF, but I find it a little difficult to work with. I tried Pettinice once and had the worst cake-decorating night of my life trying to cover a wedding cake with it--it kept tearing. The taste was OK, but not great. I used to make Colette Peters' fondant recipe. It's my favorite (so far) for handling and appearance. It is a lot of work to make, though.
I haven't yet tried Satin Ice, but it's on my list of products to try, along with Choco Pan.
I also want to try Massa Grichuna. I hear that's what Colette Peters uses.

I will never use Wilton fondant again unless it's for small decorations or bows that are unlikely to be eaten, or if they change the recipe so it doesn't taste like glue anymore! icon_smile.gif

[/b]

HollyPJ Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 1:14am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsloops

They have it at cakedeco.com. I think it's available other places too. I think they might sell it here at CC too...I haven't checked recently.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 1:23am
post #13 of 17

I have flavoured Wilton fondant with Wilton raspberry candy flavouring. It now tastes quite good...chewy but good.

HollyPJ Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 1:38am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyPJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsloops

They have it at cakedeco.com. I think it's available other places too. I think they might sell it here at CC too...I haven't checked recently.

It looks like CC sells Satin Ice, but they're currently out of stock.

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 3:23am
post #15 of 17

I used to make MMF but then tried the Fondx. No more mmf for me. Too much trouble and not consistant results. (I live in TN) humidity does awful things icon_cry.gif

I love the way the Fondx handles and also have had many compliments on the taste. It colors great and it is not to bad as far as price goes. I have a great cake supply store here that carries it.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 12:45pm
post #16 of 17

Try looking at www.intotheoven.com for Satin Ice. Their shipping is reasonable too.

HollyPJ Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 10:28pm
post #17 of 17

My order of FondX arrived today from CalJava. Although I'm not using it until tomorrow, I couldn't resist tasting a little bit. It's quite good--definitely better than the other two brands of commercial fondant I've tried. It's leaps and bounds better than Wilton (how could it not be?) and I like it better than Pettinice, too. It's mainly just sweet, but there's almost a faint citrus taste to it, too.

I also bought 2 lbs of their dark chocolate fondant (Sweet Inspiration brand). It's tasty also.

I'm anxious to see how easy the FondX is to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%