Cake That Looks Like Pumpkin Pie!!

Decorating By cncgirl00 Updated 13 Oct 2006 , 12:18pm by cncgirl00

cncgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncgirl00 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 10

I need to make a cake that looks like a pumpkin pie. I don't know where to start. How do I make the "pan"? What do I use to make it look like a big 'ole pie? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

9 replies
mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 10

You could bake the cake in a glass pie pan.

Then pipe a border on or maybe fondant to look like the crust. You could color icing to look like the top of a pumpkin pie.

HTH! Good Luck!

cncgirl00 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 10

I need a bigger pie, to feed maybe 20-30 people. I already thought of a glass pie pan but I don't think that would be enough cake.

Edibleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edibleart Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 10

If you did a one layer larger round and trimmed the edges so that the bottom was slightly narrower than the top, you could use gray icing to make it look like a tin pan. You would need to use quite a firm cake to hold this shape though. You could frost the top like the color of the pumpkin pie and pipe the crust around the edges. Sounds like a really cute idea!

Sorry - edited to fix my spelling!

cncgirl00 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the ideas!

daisyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyz Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 10

If you wanted it to have fruit on it like a pie, you could probably hollow a little of the cake out and put some pie filling there and then use icing to do the criss-cross lattice across the top! Just another idea... HTH! And can't wait to see pictures!

daisyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyz Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 12:51am
post #7 of 10

Whoops! Just noticed you said PUMPKIN pie! I am so sorry! I guess I should've read the question better! =)

mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 12:56am
post #8 of 10

you can use luster dust to paint fondant silver for the pie tin. and i just read on a thread somewhere that jello made a limited release pumpkin spice instant pudding. maybe you can make a custard or mousse out of that and do what daisyz said (hollow out some cake) and put that filling in so it can look more like pumpkin pie.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 1:05am
post #9 of 10

I would start with the pie upside down. Trim it so the smaller part is up. Cover it with fondant and then you can make the tin pan kind of ridges in the and have more control. Let it get a little hard then flip it over and fill it with an orange-y colored icing. For the crust you could probably just pipe icing around with a light tan

cncgirl00 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 12:18pm
post #10 of 10

Really great ideas! I'll post pics after I make it. It's not due until the end of November so I have a little time to play around till I get it right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%