Towers On Castle Cake

Decorating By Kate714 Updated 14 Aug 2007 , 2:35am by 4them

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 1:16am
post #1 of 13

Hi all,

I have the instructions from Cake Boss on how to do a castle cake but I am still confused icon_confused.gif I am only doing an eight-inch square and a six-inch round, with 7 turrets.

My question is, how do I do the four turrets in each corner? Are they supported by a dowel somehow? I have a hard time believing the RI will keep them stuck to the board???

TIA!!!!!!!!!!

12 replies
Kate714 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 1:59am
post #2 of 13

BUMP icon_biggrin.gif

4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:10am
post #3 of 13

never underestimate the power of RI, I have made a castle twice, I transported the turrets separately attached them on site with the RI, by the way I used RCT for my turrets

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:10am
post #4 of 13

I wish I could help, but where did you get the directions ? I too would like to see them. icon_smile.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:16am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by culinarycreations

I wish I could help, but where did you get the directions ? I too would like to see them. icon_smile.gif

Here's the link to the castle cake tutorial from Cake Boss: http://www.cakeboss.com/CastleTutorial.aspx

bdrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bdrider Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:19am
post #6 of 13

I made a castle cake a few months ago and used rice krispie treats for the turrets also, but for my next one in Sept, I'm doing something different. I read directions somewhere that used fondant dried over a pvc pipe. Thats the way I'm going. I plan on letting them dry for QUITE a long time and mixing the fondant with gumpaste. If you dont have the time to go this route and let it dry so thoroughly, the RKT will work out fine if you attach on location as 4them suggests.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:24am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate714

My question is, how do I do the four turrets in each corner? Are they supported by a dowel somehow? I have a hard time believing the RI will keep them stuck to the board???

It looks like there is a dowel for each of the outer towers (see note at end of step 6 and at start of step 7 in the tutorial), and 2 dowels for the center tower.

Kate714 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:24am
post #8 of 13

what is RCT or RKT??

I don't think I will have time to attach them on site icon_cry.gif This is for my daughter's party and I will have my hands full. I made the turrets out of paper towel rolls and cones, covered on fondant.

Kate714 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:31am
post #9 of 13

It looks like there is a dowel for each of the outer towers (see note at end of step 6 and at start of step 7 in the tutorial), and 2 dowels for the center tower.[/quote]

but how would the dowels be attached to the bottom board?? icon_confused.gif sorry, I'm just not getting that!

4them Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:31am
post #10 of 13

RCT is rice crispy(krispy) treats

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:33am
post #11 of 13

The royal icing really does hold the tower to the board. Plus, you can put some extra buttercream along the tower where it touches the cake, and it will hold it in place. I have never had any kind of a problem with those outside towers -- in fact, with the castle in that tutorial, I drove it 150 miles to its destination with them in place!!

Kate714 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:34am
post #12 of 13

ah, thanks, CakeBoss!! I guess I could have just PM'd you! Thank goodness...I just don't see myself doing extensive assembly on site icon_smile.gif

4them Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:35am
post #13 of 13

sharpen the dowels, but since your towers sound hollow I don' t know that this will help you, with the fondant and cones they might be top heavy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%