Flame Border...transformer Cake...help

Decorating By Heatherly30 Updated 14 Aug 2007 , 4:45pm by cakesbycombs

Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 15

I am making my first cake for a child (nephew), and I'm a nervous wreck. I am planning to do a sheet cake with the autobot and decepticon logos, and a flame border (on the top of the cake...framing the logos.)

Problem is, I can not make anything that somewhat resembles a flame. I have found awesome pics on this site, but I don't even know how to start. Any ideas on first drawing them, and also the coloring? I plan to use a star tip (unless someone can tell me of something better...)

Please, if you can help me out, I'm desperate.

14 replies
Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 15

Well I did a Harley Davidson cake for my nephew last year with flames up the side. I wasn't impressed with the open star tip I used but a regular star might work better. I was thinking next time trying like a leaf tip maybe. As far as coloring I just put in some red, yellow and orange, in the same bag. That part came out pretty cool. Did the same thing for the lava on the dinosaur cakes in my photos
HTH a little at least. thumbs_up.gif

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 15

i just made a transformers cake with some flames but i kinda improvised with the flames. i used a leaf cutter and cut out fondant flames for the sides. the "flames" in front were made with red and yellow hard candy. here's the pic...
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=846743
the autobots logo standing on cake is fondant which i painted. HTH a little.

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 15

In my pics I have a Harley Groom's Cake. I made the flames on the sides of the cake out of color flow. Seemed to work great and it was something you could make ahead and add to the cake later.

MicheleH Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 15

In my pics I have a Harley Groom's Cake. I made the flames on the sides of the cake out of color flow. Seemed to work great and it was something you could make ahead and add to the cake later.

Tamz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tamz Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 15

My mom and I do cakes together and what we do is create our own stencils to use. Find flames online or in a coloring book that you think will work for your cake. Photocopy it to the correct size, cut it out, hold it against the cake and use a toothpick to trace around it. We do the method of dots all around our stencil, it gives us an idea of where to go, without worrying about getting too messy. If you want to get different colors on your flames, try striping the bag with two colors and using the basketweave tip going in one direction. The lines will give your flames some extra definition.
Hope that helps!

Tamz

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 15

Check in my photos, I've made flames with a leaf tip.
If you like the color/style, PM me and I will help you out!

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 15

Check in my photos, I've made flames with a leaf tip.
If you like the color/style, PM me and I will help you out!

pinkjessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkjessica Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 15

I used a leaf tip # 352 for my flames and what I did was "stripe the bag" meaning that you add a little red color paste in the bag first "up the sides" with a little paint brush then add yellow frosting into the bag. looks pretty cool. good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 9:49pm
post #10 of 15

Wow, I wasn't expecting so many responses...now how do I choose?

Rambo- Is that cake is your pics? I must be missing it.

MicheleH- Love your flames. The colorflow would allow me to get some done ahead. Did you find an image somewhere, or do it freehand?

Tamz- The basketweave tips would be neat. Any pics with that? I think I would need to see it to be able to do it correctly. I am searching the internet for pics...I also like the stencil idea.

pinkjessica- Are your flames in your pics? I would like to see them with the leaf tip too...

pinkjessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkjessica Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 10:08pm
post #11 of 15

Yes my pic is titled "dinosaur" looks like godzilla tearing down buildings icon_biggrin.gif

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 1:20am
post #12 of 15

I actually didn't post my Harley cake, it wasn't my favorite, or best work but I'll stick it here if it'll help. LOL nevermind you really can't see the flames it's a top view of the FBCT. Sorry.
But now that I've thought of it, could you make a FBCT off a picture of fire.

MicheleH Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 3:10am
post #13 of 15

I honestly don't remember if the color flow was freehand or a trace. The wedding was a year ago June!! Can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, let alone last year! Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck! I love when I can do some things on cakes ahead of time like using color flow or royal.

Tamz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tamz Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:43pm
post #14 of 15

I actually do not have any pics posted yet. I am very much the opposite of computer savvy, and my husband hasn't showed me how to do it. I'm going to get on his case this weekend though to do it. I did the basketweave tip on my son's dinosaur cake for his 4th birthday. I had a volcano on the cake and used the basketweave tip for the lava coming down the sides. I thought it worked well.

Tamz

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:45pm
post #15 of 15

i second the leaf tip, i have used this before and with a couple different colors of orange and yellow, it turns out really nice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%