Favorite Fondant?

Decorating By Sionann Updated 14 Aug 2007 , 6:06am by leah_s

Sionann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sionann Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 6:11am
post #1 of 16

What is your favorite fondant to use? Homemade or bought? What brands? What others have you tried before you choose your favorite? I've only used homemade MM fondant and it works pretty well but I'm inexperienced and was wondering if there is anything out there that is better. Thanks for any input or advice.

15 replies
Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 7:05am
post #2 of 16

Hi. My favorite is MMF which I got on cc. I also use Toba Garret's fondant. I prefer homemade fondant.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 16

Am I allowed to say NONE - I don't like the taste of any fondant - and I've experimented with most brands icon_rolleyes.gif

When I need to use it I use Satin Ice and add lots of flavoring and knead really well. When I do this I notice my guests don't peel it off the cake. Personally, I prefer to use fondant only for accents.

frog80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frog80 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 16

I have used Wilton, homemade, mmf and now use Satin Ice exclusively. It's so easy to use. And it's not that expensive. I order mine from into the oven and have it in about 3-4 days.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 16

The best tasting fondant I have found is Choc-o-pan. The cocolate taste just like tootsie rolls and the carmel is wonderful. They also have coffee, white and ivory. It is also carried by into the oven. A little more expensive but can be rolled thinner and goes farther then most others.

Shaela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaela Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 16

I have been using Wilton but it is unreliable. Often is has been on the shelf for some time and the edges of the block get "crusty"... I am going to order Satin Ice since that seems to be the favorite here, and give that a try. Anything has to be better than Wilton...

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 16

snowshoe, what do you flavor it with ????/

gacandle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gacandle Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 16

i have used wilton's and hate it but now i only use the fondant rhonda's ultimate mmf that i got here on cc. it is easy to make and is easy to work with and taste great!! most of the cakes i make are covered in fondant and everyone says it taste great.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:10pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladefly

snowshoe, what do you flavor it with ????/

I use oils (LorAnn's mostly). Haven't had any issues with changes in consistency.

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:14pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks
where do you usually get LorAnns???
Mary

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:28pm
post #11 of 16

I've seen LorAnn's at Hobby Lobby, but I didn't discover it until recently because it is with the candy making items.

God Bless!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:29pm
post #12 of 16

I've make MMF several times. After my hands got tired, I ordered SatinIce from Intotheoven. I really like it! I found their prices and shipping very reasonable.

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:32pm
post #13 of 16

I love the fondant from creative cutters. It is actually yummy! Wo would think those words could ever be uttered about fondant. It is a bit pricy but rolls really thin and again tastes good.

I also use Satin Ice too.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:49pm
post #14 of 16

satinice is great.

I also use fondx, it is great. Soft and taste great, one thing about fondx you are better mixing the color into the day before or early morning. the more you work with it, it will become softer it will need to rest to get back to texture.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 4:17pm
post #15 of 16

I like Satin Ice. Overall, it has a good texture and taste compared to other brands.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 6:06am
post #16 of 16

I'm a SatinIce fan also. It's just not worth my time to make my own. Also Satin comes precolored.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%