What Is The Best Size?

Decorating By melmcgill Updated 13 Aug 2007 , 10:25pm by melmcgill

melmcgill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmcgill Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 5:53am
post #1 of 5

I will be doing a three tier cake for a birthday party. It will be a simple round cake covered in fondant with stripes on one tier, stars on one, and music notes on the third. I was wondering what the best sizes would be for this. It will need to feed 60 people. I know they usually say four inches between each tier, but that would be way more cake than they need. I dont want the tiers to be too close in size so that it doesn't look right either. Any advice on the sizes to use would be helpful.

4 replies
cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 6:13am
post #2 of 5

You can do a 6-8-10 but put them off centered so they have a bigger "ledge' on one side and a smaller ledge on the other. You can use the smaller edge on the back.
Similar to this mermaid cake, the front of the cake has more room than the back of the cake.
LL

melmcgill Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 5

Ok, there are a bunch of people reading this but no body is offering any information. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 5

I would do 6-9-12 and use a 9" styrofoam dummy for the middle tier, if you're really set on making 3 tiers. According to this chart from CC, the 6" and 12" will serve 12+56=68: http://www.cakecentral.com/article14-Cake-Baking-Cutting--Serving-Guide---2-in-Deep-Pans.html

Or maybe a 6-8-10 all in cake like Cakequeen suggested.

melmcgill Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 5

The lady that wants the cake is set on having three layers, and wants them all cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%