Omg!!!! I Got Nominated To Do Cake For Shine On!!!

Decorating By briansbaker Updated 16 Oct 2006 , 11:49pm by morphis1208

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 27

My sister has her children enrolled in the Shine On program.. First of a little story...
My sister and I come from a poor family.. Grant it, we had clothes, food and transportation..(Not T-bone, nor did we have the best looking car on the block) But when I say poor I mean, no means in going to college. We didnt graduate.. We had poor parents.. Dont get me wrong I love them both.. They split up and left us to be raised by our grandparents.. Bless their hearts.. they tried so hard! icon_cry.gif Well my sister got married at a young age and had 4 children by this man.. He was later sentenced to life in prison.. My sister has been on welfare for as long as I can rememeber.. She found a great job and has been raising her children on her own.. Her girls are so talented!! So she thought I will give it a try.. All three girls were automatically put in the Revolution.. (highest you can get on a talent level) most had to work up to that level and my nieces made it same day.. I'm so excited for them.. My sister is struggling to make payment on this program.. But is going to work to make this happen.. So They asked all the parents to get involved to help where they can.. So they ask my sister what can you do, she says " I'm very creative, I can make centerpieces, mums, anything that involves hot glue LOL.. Then she says "oh by the way, I have a sister who makes great cakes".. They said "what, that's great! We need a cake for this night!". But has to be donated.. icon_eek.gif My sister said " I'm 99.3 percent sure that she will do it".. they looked at her like 99.3? She laughed and said "well the 3 is about the fact that I have not yet told her " icon_surprised.gif .. SOOOOOOOO.. IM NERVOUS!!!!
I will be getting all the facts this coming weekend, on what they are looking for. But I'm sure 100's of people will see this cake!!! OMG... I NEED A CIG!!!! Here is info on the program..
http://www.texaschildrenschoir.com/index.html

26 replies
kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 27

congrats

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 27

That is soooooooooo awesome......I checked out the website they look like a wonderful organization.....how exciting that your neices got picked for the revolution so quickly!!! Looks like it would be a blast to watch!!! I say if you can afford to buy the ingredients it would be a wonderful donation and would also double as advertizing for your cakes!!! I can't wait to hear what they're wanting!!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 27

That is wonderful, for both you and your sister!!
Congratulations!! Please keep us posted.

Cindy

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 27

That's wonderful! I know you must be so proud and I KNOW you will do a fabulous job because every single one of your cakes are sensational! I really like the little lights around the "Shine On" picture. Maybe you could use luster dust to go with that theme? I don't know..I'm not that creative but you go girl! thumbs_up.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 27

I'm soooooooo happy for you...congrats thumbs_up.gif

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 27

How wonderful...isn't it awesome when good things like this happen!?! thumbs_up.gif

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 27

what a wonderful opportunity for everyone , and very exciting Good luck to you all !!

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 27

Congratulations! I love your cakes, you'll do an awesome job!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 27

How exciting! Congratulations! You're cakes are all very lovely! You'll do a fantastic job.
Jacqui

MARCIAL66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARCIAL66 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 4:03pm
post #11 of 27

Congratulations, but I still don't know why you're so nervous abou it this, you're very creative, you got a talent. will be waiting on pics.

Jessy

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 4:07pm
post #12 of 27

Okay, everyone wishes you best of luck......the real question.....what kind of cake are you going to do???????
Oh, and just kidding about the above....I think it's wonderful about the neices, your sister's hard struggle to get to where she is and how proud you both must be to be at where you are now. It's a long road but we all make it! Happiness to all of you and good luck now and always!

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 4:22pm
post #13 of 27

Congrats to all of you and I know your cake will be great !!!! thumbs_up.gif

Post a photo when your done !! icon_biggrin.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 4:40pm
post #14 of 27

wow, wow, wow..what a great thing. How supportive is your sister? and how proud is she to put your name foward!

What a great opportunity to advertise your cakes too!

I'm so happy for you, I'm doing the SNOOPY dance of happiness!

I know how you both feel...coming from similar roots...I never had an ex in jail though..( that I know of..lol but I too was a young, single unwed mom...when I started to earn my little bit of money cake decorating! I was able to get off in about 2 years! I feel proud of that! lol)

Wooooooo Hooooooooo..

Yes!! YES!! please post!

Your nieces must be excited too!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 10:06pm
post #15 of 27

Hi BB, this is great news, congrats to you and to your sister and her girls too. You will do a great job on your cake, we all know that and will be waiting to see what you choose to make. Janice

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 10:13pm
post #16 of 27

I can't wait to see the picture of the cake. Congrats.

briansbaker Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 11:13pm
post #17 of 27

Oh Lord.. Thank you all sooooooooooo much.. You just dont know how much confidence I gain when I come here!!! I LOVE YOU ALL!!! MY CC BUDDIES!!!!!
I've learned so much from this site.. I cant imagine not finding this site. I'm still very nervous.. Cant wait to see what they have in mind... I will keep everyone updated!!
THANKS AGAIN FOR THE SUPPORT!!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:22am
post #18 of 27

OMG! no need to hyper venalate, I'm doing that for you. That's soooo great, you can do it! I know you can!

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:35am
post #19 of 27

That is wonderful for all of you. Congratulations.

CakePhun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakePhun Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:42am
post #20 of 27

rock on girl! You can bet it will be on the net too! Excellent work my friend!

mom_of_4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of_4girls Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 6:29am
post #21 of 27

Congrats! thumbs_up.gif

briansbaker Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 3:27pm
post #22 of 27

Ok I spoke with my sister this morning.. I think were gonna go with a sheet cake.. Depending on how many they want to feed.. I will do 12x18 or two 12x18.. WOW! icon_eek.gif
Now this is where one of you CC Buddies of mine come in place.. Anyone out there willing to sale me some edible images of the picture below???? (Mac i'm waving at you)
I think were gonna go with the image below.. and tell me if this is doable.. My sister wants little light bulbs to go around the cake representing spotlights on the picture.. I was thinking about making them out of rice crispies, icing them and then adding MMF to them.. And using gold dust to give the bulb a sparkle look.. and using silver dust for the bottom of bulb.. Also I'm going to go buy the alphabet cookie cutters.. and i'm going to try to make the word SHINE ON in the same matter as the bulbs.. Giving the word a 3D look.. What you all think??? icon_confused.gif
Ideas would be great.. thumbs_up.gif Using the picture as a guide..
LL

mommacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommacakes Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 3:34pm
post #23 of 27

WHOO HOOO!!! I am excited for you! I cannot wait to see the cake!!!! God has blessed you tremendously!!!! What great talent you have!

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:13pm
post #24 of 27

I am extremly HAPPY FOR YOU! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 7:02am
post #25 of 27

BB -

I thought I'd come check this out after your post about how much cake.

Congrats on the big project! I can't help out with any edible images, but I think this cake (especially on the scale you'll have) would look great with just silhouettes of the kids instead of the actual images. That's something you could easily do with icing - no EI needed!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 11:43pm
post #26 of 27

Christy--
I'm waving back. Sorry, I haven't been on CC lately for any length of time--sooooo busy but that's good. Got your PM and I will start working on it tonite. I'll let you know tomorrow. YOU ROCK!!!

morphis1208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morphis1208 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 11:49pm
post #27 of 27

Congrats!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%