Dowels Needed For A Novelty Cake Placed On A Rectangle Cake?

Decorating By jmboys Updated 11 Jul 2005 , 7:43pm by Lisa

jmboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmboys Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 3

If I am placing a novelty cake (butterfly or flower) on top of a square or rectangular cake, do I need dowels and a board? If I do need dowels, do you think straws would work and if so, how many? I am pretty new at this stacking thing. Thanks for the advice!
jmboys

2 replies
niki_10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niki_10 Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 3

I'd think it depends on the size of the cake, but I'd think I'd rather be too supported than have it sink. I'd always add dowels.

Not sure about the straws. I've heard of people using straws made for those bubble drinks because they're sturdier. But for the price of a dowel at the hardware store, I think it's worth it to jut have something real sturdy and peace of mind.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 3

Hi jmboys...I only add supports if I'm putting a 3D or a heavy cake on top. The flat, 2D shaped cakes don't sink on me. They act just like a second layer would on a layer cake so I don't dowel under them. When you do need supports, plastic drinking straws work great and they're much easier to cut than wooden dowels. I'd probably stick to wooden dowels or the thicker plastic ones though if you're supporting very heavy cakes (like wedding cake tiers).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%