Unbelievable!!

Decorating By AmyBeth Updated 11 Oct 2006 , 4:39pm by 7yyrt

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:00am
post #1 of 16

Tonight one of my students who will be getting married next year told me that she ordered her cake yesterday.
She was referred to this lady by the reception hall that they are using. The cake will feed 150 people. It is all buttercream, but I still don't understand why they are charging her $100!!!

My jaw hit the floor.

15 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:04am
post #2 of 16

I think you nailed it....UNBELIEVEABLE
icon_eek.gif

What are they thinking???

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:09am
post #3 of 16

You know...it's not the first I've heard of this here....unbelievable is right!

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:10am
post #4 of 16

Is it a single layer sheet cake or something? That's cheap for even that! I wonder what kind of work the lady does- she's either not really good or not a good business person who undersells herself! That is crazy!

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:27am
post #5 of 16

$100!!! Are you kidding????? I wonder what this woman does with her cakes that she's that cheap??

I did a wedding cake in July for 150 and charged $350!! That was probably lower than what I should have got for it but $100!!

Amy

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:37am
post #6 of 16

Wow! That is about 66 cents a serving. icon_eek.gif

CONFECTIONCONNECTION Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CONFECTIONCONNECTION Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:38am
post #7 of 16

WOW ...that's roughly .67 cents a slice.....yikes

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:40am
post #8 of 16

You can't even get a Mrs. Fields cookie for less than a buck fifty!!! I should know, I used to manage three of her stores for 4 long years!!!! Never do food retail again!!! You get so many people yell at you for the price of a cookie!!!!!!

Amy

CONFECTIONCONNECTION Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CONFECTIONCONNECTION Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:40am
post #9 of 16

we are on the same page jtb94 hehehe

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:50am
post #10 of 16

UNBELIEVEABLE is right icon_eek.gif

Even if the decorator bakes and decorates just for the sheer joy it gives her and gets zip for her time and talent -

How does she buy the ingredients for the cake and frosting, a filling (if there is one) and the necessary cake boards, etc.

Sitting here shaking my head in sadness, envisioning a little old granny chained to a kitchen table forced to bake and decorate cakes.......

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:57am
post #11 of 16

you think maybe she got some kind of deal on it? or the person isn't really legal? or maybe it's more of a friend of hers.... or maybe she's just playing you to see your reaction.......

cakegurl06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegurl06 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 2:57am
post #12 of 16

It may be someone just starting out and not sure what to charge or offering ridiculously low prices for the experience and referral...??

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:07am
post #13 of 16

Im on the same page as the rest of you! icon_surprised.gif I just did my first wedding cake that fed 180 people, it was all IMBC. With multiple fillings. But I received $460.00 for that, and that was my "special" price for my daughters friend! I just feel its too much work to take less than that! icon_redface.gif

cake2decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake2decorate Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:29am
post #14 of 16

Someone once told me, "if you don't value your time, neither will anyone else and you will be taken advantage of... over and over again. You must value your skills for others to value them as well."

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:59pm
post #15 of 16

ooh i had another idea - do you think the $100 is the DEPOSIT?? Maybe the girl is confused? Or maybe that's the cost to "save that date"?

I"m still weirded out by the original poster's post b/c it sounds like she thought $100 was too much and I"m pretty sure that's NOT what she meant but everytime I read it I think that.....

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 4:39pm
post #16 of 16

I hope she tasted the woman's cakes... icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%