Kk Projector: Hands Getting In The Way!!

Decorating By KimmysKakes Updated 11 Oct 2006 , 8:21am by veejaytx

KimmysKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmysKakes Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:40am
post #1 of 12

I just received my KK projector today and DH said he doesn't think it's gonna work as good as I say since when you're tracing, your hands (and head, sometimes) will get in the way. I tried it and agree. Anyone else have this problem and any way around it????

11 replies
bearcreek350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bearcreek350 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:49am
post #2 of 12

Yes, I have that problem too!! icon_eek.gif LOL I have to keep switching my hands around and doing short little strokes. I will be interested to see what the cc folks say to help!!

KimmysKakes Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:19am
post #3 of 12

Anyone with a projector care to share your secret??? icon_wink.gif

lindsaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaycakes Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:22am
post #4 of 12

I have a projector, and I AGREE!! I just do what bearcreek said...short strokes.
I sometimes have to trace at odd angles, but I've become more agile at it with a little practice! I find that once everything gets filled in, it looks great even if the process wasn't so smooth! icon_smile.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:23am
post #5 of 12

I've mostly used mine to trace fonts for writing messages. I usually trace them with a toothpick, then trace with frosting afterward. That way I can move my hands around and such. I haven't tried any detailed figures or anything like that yet.

Jenn1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn1978 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:31am
post #6 of 12

HI! I too have the problem with my hands and head getting in the way! I've just learned to deal with it and move around the projector! I use mine on the kitchen island so I have room to move around. I do what I can until "I" get in the way then I move to a different spot! I try to be smarted then the projector, although sometimes it is mighty hard! icon_eek.gif Once you get use to it you shouldn't have a problem. I use mine for all my artwork. I couldn't live without it!

Good luck to you with your projector! Just give it time and remember to be smarter then it! Don't let it beat you!

Rookie68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rookie68 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:32am
post #7 of 12

Hi!

I have the kopyrite projector...When I first got this machine I thought all my dreams have come true with pictures/writing on cakes. Then like you..how to get around the projector pole? When working on odd angles short strokes is the answer. Make sure you also can put the projector somewhere that you can move around..for instance I put it on my island and move around it.

It does take some practice but you do get awesome results. I have a few cakes in my photos (pooh cake and dog cake) that I did with my projector.

I wouldn't trade it for anything!

HTH!
Peggy

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:41am
post #8 of 12

you'll always get some shadow, but if you can actually walk around your cake and projector you will be able to work from alot of different angles and overcome that slight problem. i wouldn't trade mine for anything.

KimmysKakes Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:42am
post #9 of 12

Thank you everyone for your advice. I did try it out on an actual cake tonight, and it wasn't as bad as I thought. I can definitely see getting hooked on this thing. Have a great night!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 4:42am
post #10 of 12

I love my KK!! I keep mine on a round table, so I can walk around the table while drawing if need be. Also, I turn all of the lights off and then turn the projector on, and voila ... my shadow disappears!!! icon_smile.gif Hope this helps!!

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 7:15am
post #11 of 12

If you can create a dark room effect like photograpy developing. Years ago I used to have a black curtain attached to the top that hung down and went completely around the machine, then I would just go inside the curtain and do the work. No shadows.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 8:21am
post #12 of 12

I don't use mine nearly as much as I thought I would, part of the reason being the shadows, etc., and now that I have the edible images, it just sits and looks forlorn.

If I made more cakes (only do a couple or so a month) I would use it more often, it is really a neat tool to have. Practice has to be the best solution.
Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%