Ice Cream Cake Icing

Decorating By czazu Updated 11 Oct 2006 , 4:09pm by onebigdogmama

czazu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czazu Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone know what kind of icing is used on ice cream cakes, like the kind from carvel or dairy queen? I'm making an ice cream cake and I would like to use that type of icing if I knew what it was?

7 replies
bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 8

There should be a recipe for "Dairy Queen Ice Cream" in the recipe section. Let me know if you can't find it, and I will help you out. Good Luck. icon_smile.gif

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 8

Sorry but I can't help. I have no idea. icon_sad.gif

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 8

I can't help, but I would LOVE to be able to duplicate a Dairy Queen ice cream cake, fudge, crunchies, icing and all.

Edited to say: I just checked out the recipe here. Can't wait to try it!

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:02am
post #5 of 8

YOu know I have been thinking about that lately wondering who Dream whip would work and if it would be similar. I tried using the frozen whipped topping and it wasn't quite right and it is really hard to add color to. Has anyone tried the Dream Whip route?

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:18am
post #6 of 8

I used to work at DQ and we use the Rich's Bettercream in the 5 gallon buckets. There is the vanilla and the chocolate. You could probably use some cool whip or whipped cream(by hand) and use a stablizer. We just added kopykat colors if needed. And it is pretty simple to do. By the time you are done the cake is really heavy especially the 10" cakes. You can PM me and I can give you the steps.

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:20am
post #7 of 8

Sorry if I sound dumb but what kind of stablizer are you refering to for something like that?

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 8

I have heard other people talk about adding gelatin or this Dr. Oetker Whip-It. This is what I found when I Googled it and I have not tried this Whip-It yet but I did find it at a deli of all places (a european one).

Heres what it looks like and the description: "Keeps whipped cream stiff for hours without separating. Ideal for cake decorating, topping desserts, frosting cakes. Sprinkle on flan base to prevent fruit flans from becoming soggy."
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%