What A Fall!

Decorating By FerretDeprived Updated 15 Aug 2007 , 6:22pm by lynseyg2002

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 7:28am
post #1 of 8

Ok not so much a cake disaster ,but maybe!

I made a cake for a contest on deviantart.com. I had alot of fun and went through alot of plans to make it.

Well i worked wednesday night, thursday all day and night, and then friday till i had to go to work at 4. I finished around 1:30pm and got everything set up and my pictures taken.

Well, i go to work and my parents come to pick me up afterwards. They had some "bad" news. My cake fell. I wasn't super stressed since it wasn't meant for anyone ,but i would have liked to have gotten to see what a slice of the cake looked like. Ah well, not the biggest lost in the world.

I thought this may amuse you since, imo, it's a pretty nasty fall for a cake! It looks like i took a bat to it, Lol! Anyways, i blame it on the heat and humidity. DO NOT make a cake when it is 104F degrees outside. Ever.

I attached a picture of before and after!
LL
LL
LL

7 replies
honeybearcreek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeybearcreek Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 7:39am
post #2 of 8

Ouch! I'm sure it was still delicious.

I'm new to cake decorating and am already paranoid about my icing melting off my itty bitty newbie cakes! LOL

Hugs,
Diana in hot, steamy VA
www.honeybearcreek.com

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 7:45am
post #3 of 8

Wow! That really does look like a bat went to it! You sound so calm for someone that just lost a cake! It was beautiful before the disaster and I bet it tasted good!
So sorry this happened to you!

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 7:59am
post #4 of 8

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif Eggs to eggs and flour to flour...may your cake rest in pieces...LOL (Can you tell it's past my bed time... icon_lol.gif ) It was a great cake though! Keep up the good work and try again thumbs_up.gif

elfgirl1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elfgirl1968 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 8

Did that happen even with dowling?

novacaine24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novacaine24 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:02am
post #6 of 8

Wow! What a collapse! icon_cry.gif
That said, I love DA! I think they would love their cake icon_biggrin.gif

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 4:05am
post #7 of 8

Honeybearcreek:
Don't worry, just make sure to let the icing set and crusted first. Also i suggest letting it set in the frudge, that way it'll be cold and not hot.

I was silly and wasn't thinking. I left the top layer out on the counter, so it didn't, obviously, that didn't work so well. Lol

step0nmi:
I guess i don't see any reason to cry over spilt milk, ya know? It wasn't meant for anyone so i wasn't pressured to remake it ,and it was going to be eaten anyways. I guess that's one thing about cakes, the art never last no matter what you do. Lol! So one way or another it would have been demolished. Thank you! It did taste very good! I used boxed cake mix with the extender recipe with extra vanilla and almond extract. It was really really good.

mthiberge:
Lol! Well it's going to be resting in everyone's stomachs now! Thank though, i will try again! One day it'll stay up with no problems. One day..

elfgirl1968:
Yeah, i had plastic cake boards with the "feet" and so i took the 6"(which was the size of the top layers bottom) and put indents on the inside. I ut the dowels to size and put 5 in there, 4 for the 4 indents and one for the middle. I guess with the heat maybe it just wasn't enough?

novacaine24:
Haha, yeah, i was amazed when i saw it. My jaw dropped a little ,but then i shrugged it off and laughed
And thank you! I love DA to, i put all my sketches and cakes there. It's great!!

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 8

Ouch...that happened with the heat of the day? I suppose I should be greatfull, we are having a miserable summer so the temp outside isn't an issue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%