Need Ideas For Going Away To Boarding School Cake

Decorating By kathik Updated 13 Aug 2007 , 12:32am by Doug

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 6:12am
post #1 of 5

My son, 15, is leaving in 9 days to go to a Jewish high school in Baltimore. icon_cry.gif He is excited, but getting a little nervous. We are having a going away party for him and I want to make a special cake but I'm having trouble coming up with something "cute" but not embarrassing. Here's some things to help with ideas:

he'll live in a dorm
he'll be study secular and religious subjects
I'll be sending him care packages weekly (he says he'll die without them!)
they wear dress clothes every day (dress shirt, dress pants, hat and coat during prayers)
he likes chocolate, history, chocolate, swords, chocolate, computers, chocolate, coffee, chocolate, science, and did I mention, chocolate

My ideas so far:

Obviously the cake will be chocolate, probably with mocha or coffee buttercream.

1. suitcase with hat on top
2. care package that somehow looks ripped into, with cookie crumbs everywhere (not sure how to do this, though)
3. a coffee themed cake (not sure what)

Any help would be appreciated,
Kathi

4 replies
Mladyfred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mladyfred Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 8:27am
post #2 of 5

Can you work in the School moto, or code of arms, etc if they have one? A backpack, some religious images.. a torah, etc?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 5

YES.....

the suitcase is open (variation of the treasure chest concept)

hooked on top lid of suitcase -- the hat.

in the suitcase...

big bag/can of his fav coffee, add mug if possible and for over the top make a coffee maker out of fondant and put that in there too.

also in the suitcase ...

bags and bags and bags of cookies
one bag can look opened (make from fondant and just tear the fondant -- like on those person popping out of the cake cakes) and of course cookie crumbs -- which ARE cookie crumbs

and also stuffed in the suitcase -- as if crammed into every available space -- chocolate bars.

---

you mean I was supposed to pack clothes

or

but MOM, this is ALL I'll need

or

All the essentials for a great year!

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:07am
post #4 of 5

Okay, I really like this idea, but I can't picture how to do the lid. Are you saying to have the lid open so that you can see the contents? How do I prop the lid open?

Thanks Doug.

Kathi

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:32am
post #5 of 5

yes lid is open.

hide a dowel in something and make the lid from fondant covered cakeboard.

for example

the coffee bag could be standing up and leaning against the lid and a dowel hidden in it to hold the lid open

could also put the open cookie bag on the opposite side of the lid and do the same thing with it.

then just scatter out the rest of the cookie bags (chunks of fondant covered cake -- or if this thing will be big enough actual bags of cookies) and then chocolate bars (real if possible)

the bottom of the suitcase will be the main section body of the cake.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%