Ga Licensed Bakers

Business By CakeEscape Updated 13 Aug 2007 , 7:25pm by Jenn123

CakeEscape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEscape Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 8

I am calling the dept of ag to get all of the information I need to get my license but I thought I would ask all of you how hard it was to get the license.. what do they look for inparticular, what were your challenges or obstacles with getting the license? Did you have to get insurance? If so where did you get it.. is it expensive and do you have to have it before you get the license? Thanks ladies.. (and gents) this is just all coming faster than I thought so now I have a million questions!

7 replies
2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 8

I have not actually attempted to do anything but if you read on the Dept. of Agriculture website the GA laws are very strict concerning selling out of your home. It would be nice if they could lighten up some but not expecting that anytime soon. Please let us all know if you find out something exciting.

Linda icon_smile.gif

Landa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Landa Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 8

Georgia doesnt allow selling out of your home though.

1gananny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1gananny Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 8

I have a copy of the Dept. of Agr. handbook they sent me, if you would like to email me I would send you a copy.
I see you are in the Savannah area, I believe we will have the same district agr.team.
The ones I talked to by phone were really helpful and friendly, and very willing to help in any way they can to get us up and running.
But you can not do it out of your house.
Good luck thumbs_up.gif

Nickii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickii Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 8

I have been wondering the same thing. I wonder where and how to get started.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:03am
post #6 of 8

Call the local business licensing department for your county. They will help you get in touch with the Dept of AG. You have to have a separate building and zoning could be an issue if you are in a residential or Agricultural area. It isn't that hard to get a license. You don't have to have insurance to get approved.

CakeEscape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEscape Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 8

yeah, I know that you cant sell out of your home. I dont intend to. I have a space to rent, I was just curious if it was hard to get the lisence because I was reading on the website that the "person in charge" had to answer alot of questions about sanitization, food bourne illnesses, so on and so forth so I was wondering if those questions are asked so that I can brush up before getting my license. I am going to call the dept of ag today to get them to send me information. Im really glad you dont have to have insurance right away to get a license. It is something I will want to have, I am just trying to get started and I didnt budget that icon_confused.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 8

They never asked me any questions at all about food safety. I've never even seen a list of what I'm expected to do. They usually do a quick walk through 4 times a year and say "looks good." I guess I take care of the basics alright.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%