Hubby Created New Choc. Bc Frosting

Decorating By daisygurlvb Updated 10 Oct 2006 , 4:09pm by Shaelyn

daisygurlvb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisygurlvb Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 12:33am
post #1 of 18

Okay so last night my husbands' kids were visiting (11 and 7.5). I offered to make them cupcakes for today when they came back over. They of course were very happy to hear that. Vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting.

Well after they left last night for some reason my back started bothering. I told DH that I was sorry but had to go lie down. He offered to make the CC for me and take care of it all.

Well I wake up this morning and the CC are done and he asked for the recipe for the frosting. I circled the medium consistency in my book and added "add 3/4 cup cocoa and 1-2 tsp water once mixed".

I go off to work.......I come home, ask how the CC came out. He informed me that we didn't have any cocoa (well we did, he just didn't look hard enough LOL). So what does he do? He improvises.

He took a packet of hot coca mix, seperated the mini marshmellows out of it, and mixed that in.

I've got to say, it is FANTASTIC! hehe. DH is a regular baker now hehe. He however, needs to learn to put MORE frosting on! Hehehe. I also expected him just to do a big 1M swirl and be done with them. But no, he tops it yet again. He put sprinkles on them!!

How cute is he?!!? Just thought I'd share icon_smile.gif

Thanks for listening

17 replies
nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 12:45am
post #2 of 18

That is sweet. icon_smile.gif So what exactly is the recipe...if you don't mind. I've never made choc. bc frosting.

daisygurlvb Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 12:48am
post #3 of 18

It was very sweet of him. He likes the decorating/baking as much as I do. He's usually pretty good about making the cakes for me so I can just worry about decorating.

All I use is the Class Buttercream Icing from Wilton. Then just add the coca.

Medium Consistency
- used for stems, figure piping, borders and flowers with petals that lie flat
1 cup solid white vegetable shortening (like Crisco)
1 teaspoon Wilton Flavor (Vanilla, Almond and/or Butter)
3 tablespoons water
1 lb pure cane confectioners (powder) sugar (approximately 4 cups)
1 tablespoon Wilton Meringue Powder
A pinch of salt (optional) dissolved in your water

Then I just add the 3/4 cup of cocoa powder plus 1-2 tsp. of water.

But now I think I'll be using the hot chocolate mix from now on. All it was was "Swiss Miss instant hot chocolate"

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 12:49am
post #4 of 18

Interesting....sounds good too!

HunBun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HunBun Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 12:53am
post #5 of 18

TOO cute!! I shared the story with my hubby and he wasn't as enthusiastic as I was. Whatever...I'm very impressed with your DH's efforts and results!

daisygurlvb Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:06am
post #6 of 18

I just read that too him and he said "yay" with a cheesy grin. It's funny, after we were done eating he asked me "so are you going to tell all your friends online about what I did" so I had no choice but to icon_smile.gif

Yea, he's a keeper!

Shaelyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaelyn Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 4:56am
post #7 of 18

Aww! So adorable! Sometimes the guys can be very cute. I am not married, but have a BF of a long time who supports my trials and errors of cake decorating. I recently made a cactus cake for my roommate out of Colette Peter's book "The Art of Cake Decorating", but put 3 needles in each rather than 5. Somehow my cake came out with smaller "points", but whatever, it was cute. My BF felt sorry for me that I was sitting at the table for a LONG time putting in all the tiny thorns, so he came over and offered to finish the rest of it, even though I was only about 1/3 finished. icon_rolleyes.gif Gotta love them sometimes!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:14am
post #8 of 18

daisygurlvb ... your DH sounds wonderful and is definitely a keeper!! icon_smile.gif

Shaelyn
... why don't you post the picture of your cactus cake? I'd love to see it! I'm sure it looked great!! icon_smile.gif Your BF sounds pretty great, too!!!
thumbs_up.gif

Shaelyn Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:19am
post #9 of 18

Haha, I tried, I really did. But I'm lost at understanding this site. When I tried to get my Avatar, it took me 3 days to figure it out. Haha! I should know this stuff, but I dont. icon_confused.gif It said something about being too big, MB wise. If anyone could help me out, I'll try and figure it out enough to post it. icon_smile.gif

cakesbyjess Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:31am
post #10 of 18

Go to this website: http://www.shrinkpictures.com

1. Upload your picture.
2. Type "1000" in the Custom box, and make sure you select the Custom box.
3. Leave this as is.
4. Choose "Best"
5. Click on Resize.

Then, follow the instructions and your picture should be good to go! icon_smile.gif

Shaelyn Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:38am
post #11 of 18

Thank you! That was very helpful! Let's see if it works...
LL

Shaelyn Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:39am
post #12 of 18

Ok, the first time I tried it, I entered 1000 like you said, but when I submitted it, this site told me it had to be 800 pixels or less, so I clicked on the 760 pixels instead of typing in 1000 and it worked perfectly. icon_smile.gif

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:44am
post #13 of 18

I had to laugh at this. My DH doesn't cook at all. But my teenage son loves to cook. It sounds so much like something he would try icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif He is always trying something just to see how it will taste. He put hot choc. mix in something awhile back and I can't remember what. Oh ya he added it to coffee. He wanted a flavored coffee so he scronged and found some hot choc and tossed it in. He said it was good. I will take his word for it cause I am not a coffee drinker DH is. But he wasn't up to the choc. challenge. He said choc. in coffee yuck. He is a creative person like myself so there you go.

A ? though did the frosting have a brown look to it??? The reason I ask is I need a brown frosting and I am out of cocoa. How brown was it???? icon_lol.gif
Was the frosting on the sweet side??

cakesbyjess Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:56am
post #14 of 18

Shaelyn ... that cactus cake is fantastic!!! Great job!!! I would have never guessed that you used a different number of needles than the book said to use!!! icon_smile.gif I think the 1000 pixels would have worked if you had uploaded the picture to "My Photos". But you're right ... it has to be 800 pixels or less to be added to a post. icon_smile.gif

Shaelyn Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 6:19am
post #15 of 18

Oh, lol. Well atleast it got up for everyone to see! Thank you very much! This is only the 2nd cake I've ever decorated. icon_redface.gif It's FAR from perfect, but I think it came out alright considering. icon_smile.gif

daisygurlvb Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 10:52am
post #16 of 18

kaychristensen,

It was brown but it was lighter brown than with the cocoa. I would suggest using it and then adding food color if you need a rich chocolate brown color. It was more like a dark tan.

It was a tad sweeter than normal BC but it wasn't disgustingly sweet.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:06pm
post #17 of 18

Daisygurlvb - how sweet of your dh! Mine is that way, too. (Right down to the "not looking" for stuff! icon_confused.gif ) His mom had this happen once when one of her kids was asleep. She was making chocolate pie, but didn't have enough cocoa - she substituted Nestle's Quik. That is now her special recipe for chocolate pie - to die for!!!!! icon_lol.gif

Shaelyn - that cactus is incredible! It looks like the real thing! Great job!

Shaelyn Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 4:09pm
post #18 of 18

bkdcakes- Thank you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%