Twinkie Filling

Baking By praetorian2000 Updated 13 Oct 2006 , 9:42pm by patticakesnc

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 14

Does anyone have a filling similar to the kind used in twinkies or hostess cupcakes? I'm making chocolate cupcakes and would like a creamy filling for it.

13 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 14

Oooh that's good stuff...I hear it lasts forever! lol.

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 14

Hey there!
I use the cream filling that goes with the Giant Ding Dong Cake in the recipe section..its really yummy. I tried the "twinkie" filling and thought it was gritty and disgusting. Just my opinion..hope that helps!!

Cindy

DreamofAngels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamofAngels Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 14

I used the twinkie filling last week for cupcakes and didn't really care for it. It didn't have much flavor.

chestercheeto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chestercheeto Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 14

someone here described the Whimsical Bakehouse House Buttercream as being similar to Twinkie filling. i haven't tried it myself.

brownlg05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brownlg05 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 14

I used the twinkie filling recipe I found on this site. I thought it was pretty good, and my cupcakes were a hit. They were devil's food chocolate cupcakes, piped them full of the filling, then dipped them in chocolate ganache and topped them with a little swirl of filling. Everyone loved them ...

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 14

If you're not in the mood to make your own, I believe it's Duncan Hines that has a new "super whipped" vanilla icing on the market. I got it at the grocery store (to be used by daughter for a french class project), and the cans are much taller. It's reallly very similar to twinkie filling. Her class enjoyed it.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 14

Ok so this is probably a stupid question....how do you fill cupcakes...just stick the tip in the cupcake from the top?

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 9:30pm
post #10 of 14

Yes, you just stick your icing tip in and fill your cupcakes.

mkerton Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 9:30pm
post #11 of 14

what tip do you use, just a large round one?

crylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crylynn Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 9:32pm
post #12 of 14

Yes, just use a tip, stick it in the top, and fill. Now, before you do that though, do a practice run to determine how many seconds of squeezing give you enough filling. You don't want to have some with lots of filling, some with little, and some almost bursting the sides icon_biggrin.gif Firmer fillings will take more seconds than thiner lighter fillings

mkerton Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 9:36pm
post #13 of 14

now I wanna make some cupcakes! LOL

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 9:42pm
post #14 of 14

I have had two requests for the twinkie filling in the past couple weeks. It is wonderful. I do have a couple suggestions though. Once it was finished I tasted it and it was a little floury. I added more sugar and more vanilla until it had the taste I wanted to achieve.

I filled mini cakes with it. What I did was took the leg of one of the tiers of my cakes (hollow cylinder) put it up in the mini cake and pulled it out. It made a perfect hole in the cake. Then I took part of what I took out and broke it off and used it as a plug at the bottom after filling the minicake. This way I didn't have to worry about pumping it in and maybe exploding my cakes or deforming them.

Here is a picture of what I used (the pillar).
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%