Help! Oh Dear... (Pic)

Decorating By Iheartcake Updated 13 Aug 2007 , 4:15pm by Iheartcake

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 14

So this cake is Supposed to be a wedding dress with a red ribbon down one side. First of all I don't find it even looks like a wedding dress icon_cry.gif and I'm having a hard time with the fondant ribbon. I just wanted something really simple but I'm not liking the look of it. What should I add to the ribbon to make it look complete. I tried doing a little bow and it didn't work thumbsdown.gif Any suggestions or tips?? If a bow is the only way, what is the best way to make one?? I'm stumped. And do you think I should add a top border? Or would that be overkill..
LL

13 replies
LittleKaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleKaren Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 14

I think it looks like a dress. You could try a small flower instead of a bow, but that's about my only suggestion....Good luck with it.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 14

How about adding some white cornilli lace in a small pattern to the dress, or some little flowers or scrolls around the bottom of the dress?

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 14

Maybe add a necklace of some sort.

darkchocolate

cakebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebabe Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 14

Instead of a small bow, what about a larger floppy bow. Like a ties sash would look.

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 14

How about cornelli on the top part of the dress and/or some pearls around the neckline.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 14

Try a flower as suggested instead of a bow

Ginnycakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginnycakes3 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 14

Right now your ribbon is looking a little plain and flat as is, A small bow is not gonna work with the size/length/ ribbon you have on the dress now. Try to increase the size of your bow so it's in proportion to the dress. Do a search on making bows out of fondant. If you go to the homepage of CC their might be instructions for making bows.
Also:
Try adding some corneli lace (in white) to the bodice.

4starcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4starcakes Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 12:00am
post #9 of 14

I like cakeatopia's pearls idea.

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 12:05am
post #10 of 14

I think a cute flower, some cornelli lace and a necklace is what this cake needs! It looks great the way it is, but it could use some more detail. icon_smile.gif

TxAgGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxAgGirl Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 12:22am
post #11 of 14

I would do cornelli lace on the bodice and a ribbon rose at the intersection of the two pieces of the sash. Please post whatever you decide...

so we can see whose idea won! icon_lol.gif

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:32pm
post #12 of 14

How about carving the top of the bodice so that it dips down a little and then add cornelli lace. I think it looks fine....I agree that you could add a small flower on the sash, or maybe a bow.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:46pm
post #13 of 14

I like the idea of the cornelli lace on top. If you keep the ribbons, try notching the bottom or cutting them on a diagonal so they look like the ends of ribbons. I also like the idea of a ribbon rose at the waist where the ribbons intersect.

Looks like a dress to me!

Bec

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 4:15pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you so much for ALL of your suggestions! I was thinking of doing cornelli lace but the bride's dress is very simple and elegant and I was trying to make it somewhat the same. I did end up doing a drop flower where the ribbons meet, and cut the bottoms of the ribbon at a diagonal. I unfortunately was in a huge rush and forgot to bring the camera. And on the very HOT car ride out, the icing started to melt a little. But the bride loved it! Thanks again everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%