Keep My Cake From Sliding???

Decorating By Fancymcnancy Updated 2 Mar 2014 , 3:02am by cheatize

Fancymcnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fancymcnancy Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 22

Okay, so I used the idea posted here to cover my cake board with scrrapbook paper and then contact paper to make it look nice. Well first I'll say that it looked great thumbs_up.gif But while driving the cake to the location where we were having the party, it was sliding around the board because the contact paper was so slippery. I had some BC on the board that was made to look like water and it was sliding arounf too, so I don't think it would have helped to put some BC under the cake. What do you do to prevent this from happening?

21 replies
bethbyington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethbyington Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 22

It sounds like the contact paper was too slick. I've had success with putting cling wrap over paper on a cake board. Buttercream will stick to it well enough. Last weekend I had a board covered in wrapping paper and cut out a square of the press n seal stuff that was hidden under the cake. A plop of icing kept the 5 layer cake from sliding! Hope that helps.

littlesis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlesis Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 22

My sister and I use Wonderslip cloth. It is this porous rubbery material that you can get anywhere. We generally get rolls of it from the dollar store. It is around the placemats.

we just tear off a square and sit it right under the center of the cake, as big as you think you need it. We use generally a 3"x3" square of it. It is cheap and really comes in handy

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 22

I do the same as the previous poster, use non slip foam. They sell it in the kitchen section at walmart, I buy the stuff labeled crisper liner. It's a two foot by two foot square for .88. I just use a small sqare. Also good to put under the cake base on the floor of the car it doesn't slide around.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 22

I use just a small square of rubber type shelf liner under my cakes. it holds them in place nicely.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 22

I use contact paper on my cake boards all the time and have NEVER had this happen........I don't even put bc under the cake most times ( I get so caught up and exciting with decorating the cake I always forget LOL) and it always sticks to the board just fine. In fact one time I had the cake up on a crisco can to pipe designs on the sides of it and the cake board slid off with the cake on it and I grabbed just the edge of the cake board and pulled it back up and onto the can and the cake didn't budge one bit!!!! Maybe there is some type of oil or something on the contact paper you bought......maybe you could try wiping the board down with vinegar on a paper towel first???

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 22

I always put some BC before placing the cake to make sure it doesn't slide.

Fancymcnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fancymcnancy Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaMarieMTV

I do the same as the previous poster, use non slip foam. They sell it in the kitchen section at walmart, I buy the stuff labeled crisper liner. It's a two foot by two foot square for .88. I just use a small sqare. Also good to put under the cake base on the floor of the car it doesn't slide around.

Is it pretty easy to get the cake off when you are cutting it? I thought about using it but was worried that everyone would get served a piece of cake with a surprise stuck to the bottom icon_biggrin.gif

Vreeke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vreeke Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 22

Is the cake itself on a cake board before you put it on the larger cake board? If so, use royal icing to glue the cake boards together.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 22

I always have a cardboard cake circle under my cake, then my non-skid piece, then the fancy board.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 22

I had the same problem this Saturday. I made my cake and had finished the basketweave and tilted my turntable so I could put the roses on. I have the Wilton turntable so I put some slipmat underneath the cakeboard and sure enough, as I was making a rose, I saw the cake sliding off the cakeboard and grabbed it before it could hit the floor, totally destroying the basketweave icon_cry.gif The cakeboard stayed put but the cake itself just slid right off the cakeboard and I had even put some BC down underneath the cake. After a few tapedshut.gif I scraped off the sides and redid the basketweave but boy was I icon_mad.gif .

So here's some sympathy and a bump as I would like to know how everyone keeps this from happening also.

Cakelady232 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelady232 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 8:29pm
post #12 of 22

A very generous blob of buttercream on the board which I cover in Fanci-foil works for me.

For extra insurance, from the bottom of the board........punch in (3) large, sharp hat or corsage pins. That'll hold the cake. Pull them out before you cut.

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 8:38pm
post #13 of 22

It happened to me on my first delivery. twice as a matter of fact to the same person (after i spent all night re-making the dumb thing icon_sad.gif( ) ANyway, I asked my instructor about it and have used the slip mat ever since - works great too!

Also someone on here once suggested gettinga reg tuntablr ans sitting it on a notebook - thats what i use and I love it! If your cake starts to fall, dont move the cake, just lift up the top of the notebook..lol

JessiCakesProject Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessiCakesProject Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 2:51pm
post #14 of 22

So...is it okay to put the slipmat directly under the cake? I think the problem of the original poster is that even with BC, the cake slids off. I have the same issue at times...i even tried melted chocolate, but when chocolate hardens, it slides off too.

buddycarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buddycarol Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 4:03pm
post #15 of 22

AI always use contact paper to cover my boards and I apply a generous amount of bc in the middle of my board before I set my cake on it. I have never had a problem with this method. Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time.

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 7:24pm
post #16 of 22

The trick is to keep it level during travel. Car seats are not level. Always put a towel rolled up or something to make the back of the seat as high as the front.

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 8:15pm
post #17 of 22

ASo you put a mat between the boards but nothing else?

JessiCakesProject Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 1:36pm
post #18 of 22

Thanks, I do the same, maybe the cake board that I use is just slippery. This happens when driving on slopes/hilly roads...gravity kicks in. I often stack the cakes on site...so they are on separate cake boards. The bottom one which is on drum board and decorated with fondant does not have this issue.

JessiCakesProject Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 1:39pm
post #19 of 22

Yes, leveling does help. But, it is difficult when driving up hill or downhill...someone has to hold the cake and move hands in opposite direction of the road to level. Tough when I drive alone or not enough hands to hold everything. 

vervainangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vervainangel Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 2:28pm
post #20 of 22

AI have started using a tablespoon of melted white candy melts. It holds great!

Divine Delights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Divine Delights Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 10:23am
post #21 of 22

AIt sounds like the original post-er was asking if she should put a piece of drawer liner directly between the bottom of the cake itself and its cake board. DON'T DO IT. The problem is with the Wilton cake boards. They are slick white on one side, which is a disaster waiting to happen. Instead, flip the board over and use the brown side instead (my instructor taught me that). THEN put a piece of drawer liner (the rubbery kind) underneath the cake board (between your cake board and your decorative base). Hope this helps!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 3:02am
post #22 of 22

When I'm putting a cake board (with cake on it) onto another cake board (I call it the final board and I often don't do the final board until I'm nearly done with the cake), I use a piece of double-sided carpet tape between the two boards. A smear of buttercream has failed me in the past so I only use it to adhere a cake to a board, never to adhere 2 boards together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%