How Long Does It Take You?

Decorating By Pimples25 Updated 9 Oct 2006 , 6:32pm by knoxcop1

Pimples25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pimples25 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 10

Can you tell me roughly how long it takes you to decorate a cake, I think I might be quite slow on this as it usually always takes me 2-3 hours + and thats just decorating it, not actually baking. Im just wondering how quick you guys are.

9 replies
IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 10

I think it depends upon the cake and the difficulty of the decorations.

Gumpaste items are done ahead of time...torting,icing,final decorating can take me 4 or 5 hours.

jessireb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessireb Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 10

I don't think 2-3 hours is too long. It all depends on the cake. Sometimes I take a little longer because I use it as therapy. I set up in my family room and turn the t.v. on and just decorate until I get it just right!

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 10

if I do a sheet cake if doens't take as long if the decortations are simple. But it can take me 2-3 hours to make a cake.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 10

it depends on what i am doing. a regular 9 in round simple piped flowers and wording maybe 30-40 min depending on my mood. that doesnt include baking. a character cake sometimes 1 hr to 1 hr 30 min. i get very technical with those.

lonestarstamper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lonestarstamper Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 10

OMG! I must be the slowest cake decorator ever. I'm very critical of my own work and will keep working at it until I get it right. If you go to my gallery the pink and green gift box cake took me about 8 hours to decorate and probably another three hours of baking. The snake cake took me about six hours to piece together and decorate. A regular, standard cake takes me about 2 to 3 hours. So far I'm not making a living off this new hobby or I'd have to move back home with the folks.

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 10

I think it depends on the how organize you are and of course your experience but I 2-3 hours of cake decorating isn't bad at all....

cakegurl06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegurl06 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 10

I'm glad you asked this Pimples25! I kept telling my DH that it takes me way too long to decorate a cake. I recently got into cookie bouquets which I thought might go faster but I spent hours yesterday on one bouquet! What seems to take me so long is deciding on the colors, mixing icing colors, and preparing the bags. The actual putting-icing-on-cake part doesn't take as long as getting ready to put icing on cake!
I told my sister that if I worked in a baker I'd be fired for being too slow. I'd produce like one cake per day! haha

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 10

FOREVER I tell you it takes me forever...........

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 6:32pm
post #10 of 10

icon_surprised.gif I thought I was the only slow one out there! icon_lol.gif

It's the dang'd bags/mixing colors and loading up the bags that gets me bogged down. thumbs_up.gif

The decorating part isn't too bad. It does depend on the cake, though.

The flag cake w/star work in my gallery took about 45 minutes. The two birthday cakes took about that, too.

The wedding cakes? Shhhhhheeeesh. With smoothing and patterning those--I probably had 5 hours time in each one. The smaller white/red wedding cake didn't take as long--it wasn't as BIG!

--Knox--

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%