Need Review Of Fondant & Gumpaste Class

Decorating By Marzbar71 Updated 10 Aug 2007 , 9:16pm by havingfun

Marzbar71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marzbar71 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 5

I'll be finished with Course II next week and was planning on taking a break but the instructor said she is doing Fondant and Gumpaste next since she thinks that helps with Course III.

It sounds kind of intriguing and one plus is that one other lady in the class is planning on taking it so I would know someone. The other two gals in my class are going back to college.

Just wanted to get some reviews. How much outside of class prep is there? Course II has been a lot of work for me - stupid humidity and royal icing don't mix!

Thanks!

4 replies
teasom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teasom Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 5

Outside class prep probably depends on the instructor. I had to bring a cake to class every week already covered in fondant on a board also covered in fondant. Honestly, I did not think that this was Wilton's best class icon_sad.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 5

You will have to cakes for this class. Lesson 2 and Lesson 4. They are 8x3 or 8x4 in cakes, so not a huge cake.

For lesson 1 you will just have to gather your supplies up for the class. No making icing.

For lesson 2 you will have a cake, iced in buttercream. Then in class you will cover the cake in fondant, do the drape, handkerchief and ribbon garland. You will also make the carnation base.

For Lesson 3 you will have to color some fondant/gumpaste at home. Just 3 colors and they aren't huge amounts. You may need to make a few more carnation bases. In class you will finish the carnation, make a daisy, and the fantasy flower.

You will need another cake, iced in buttercream for Lesson 4. The book will tell you to cover the cake in fondant at home, and to make a fondant covered cake board at home. My students usually do the cake board at home, then bring the cake in class to cover it. You will also need to make any flowers you want to use on your cake ahead of time. The designs in the book don't have a ton of flowers, except maybe the ones using the daisies, but they are pretty fast to make.

Of course each instructor does things a little differently. You can also ask your current instructor about it. icon_smile.gif

To me Lesson 4 has the most prep work at home, but I have moved a few things around, and give my students more time in class to do their cakes on the last night, so they don't have to do everythign at home and then come put it together. They just have to make sure they do the flowers ahead of time.

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 5

IMHO, if you have worked with fondant before, or played around with it, or are comfortable learning the carnation on your own - then I wouldn't bother with this class. I had played around with covering a cake and making a few flowers before the class and really didn't learn much during class.

For us, there wasn't alot of prep work for class, outside of covering 2 cakes in fondant and making super simple daisies. We weren't required to use a real cake, so most people used dummies (even easier). Our instructor really could have cared less about the class and was outside of the room for more than half the time since alot of the time is just playing around following the instructions in the book.

I was disappointed in the class, but honestly, that could of been the instructor over the actual content!!

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 5

I would ALWAYS check to see if the instructor is experienced in this class. I took the class and the instructor had NEVER taken or taught the class before. She did not even study before the first class and had misplaced the training video. I totally wasted about $80 in all the supplies and course fee. I just assumed since it was a Wilton class, they would have some standard for the teachers. I know there are a lot of Wilton instructors on this site and I just wish, o I wish, I could have taken a class from one of them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%