What Happens After Freezing And Crumb Coating?

Decorating By DanielleTanton Updated 10 Aug 2007 , 8:09am by ribbitfroggie

DanielleTanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanielleTanton Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:33am
post #1 of 5

I am doing a wedding cake this Saturday, and have frozen all the tiers. I like to frost the crumbcoat while the cake is still frozen. I don't know what to do next. Do I put it back in the freezer uncovered for a half hour to set? When I do my final layer of frosting, how do I eliminate condensation? Also, since I want to do all of this Friday, what do I do with the cakes overnight? I don't want to wrap them because it will mess up the frosting. I am stressed out! Please give me your suggestions. Thank you!

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:40am
post #2 of 5

unless you've got a perishable filling or icing there is no reason to refrigerate them again......I would take em' out of the freezer crumb coat them while frozen (since that's what you like to do....I do it too hehehe) and then let them sit a minute, the coldness from the cakes usually hardens up the icing good enough to go in for the final coat........then let it sit an hour or better and decorate....after that I usually pop em' in a box and if I don't have a bakery box that it will fit in I use shipping boxes and cover the top in plastic wrap.....the cakes still stay nice and moist because the icing seals in all the moisture. No need to refrig....unless of course like I said before you have a frosting or filling that requires refrig.

DanielleTanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanielleTanton Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:54am
post #3 of 5

Thank you! What about the condensation that occurs on the outside of the cake? Do you just leave it alone or do you blend it in? (which I have found makes the cake look wierd)

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:59am
post #4 of 5

I would leave it alone until it evaporates.

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:09am
post #5 of 5

I also like to crumb coat my cake while still frozen. Basically after I crumb coat I let the cakes come to temperature in the fridge (I find it helps with the condensation). Then I put the final coat on, smooth, etc. I normally stick the cake back in the fridge overnight (they travel better when they are well chilled) but I don't wrap them-I have a a fridge that is only for cakes though. I hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%