Why Can't I Get It Right?

Decorating By sarzoemom Updated 13 Oct 2006 , 7:17am by cupcake

sarzoemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarzoemom Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 4:26am
post #1 of 5

I am new to decorating and am expeirementing with differant frostings and fondants. So far as far as fondant goes, I hate the store bought and found a great recipe for covering my cakes with but that is about it. I have also tried MMF because everybody it seems uses it. I hate it so far. I have made it 3 times and each time has been awful. The first, it was to hard and dry and I worked it for 15 minutes, heated it and added water and it never came out right. The next time, I worked it and got it to where I could roll it out but when I tryed to do anything else with it, it would crumble. Next time, I tried the modified recipe with the crisco added. I THOUGHT I would like it but it was so greasey that it NEVER DRIED! AND IT STILL CRACKED! What am I doing wrong? Is it me? HELP!!!

4 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 5:03am
post #2 of 5

That's the same problem I have with it too. It's either too mushy and sticky or too dry and crumbly... I think if I ever have to cover a cake in fondant again, it's gonna be done in Satin Ice. I hear nothing but good things about it. I'll leave to MMF for cake decorations.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 5

I used MMF for awhile to save money but it was hard to get it right. It was either too soft...or too dry. It just wasn't as reliable. Plus if I need alot...I don't have patience to make several batches. AND I know my KA mixer handled it ok but I felt like I was taking years off the mixer's life.

So I decided it was worth it to buy FondX or Pettinice or Satin Ice and just pass on the costs. Time IS money, and so I figure by not wasting time making and kneading the homemade kind, its actually not too bad buying the stuff. Yeah it costs more, but it saves alot of time and headache.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with Kitagrl...SatinIce is really good. Just be sure to pass the extra cost along to your clients...Good luck, and welcome to this site icon_smile.gif

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 7:17am
post #5 of 5

I tried the MMF and had the same problem, it was more work then I cared to do. I like the Rolled Buttercream fondant, it was easy to work with, and had a very nice texture, the only thing is that it is a little softer. I prefer the Satin-ice, and have tried the Pettinice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%