Are Cupcake Cakes Messy? I Want To Try One...

Decorating By elvis Updated 12 Oct 2006 , 8:05am by mom_of_4girls

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 18

Hey- I really want to try this- the cupcake cakes I've seen are so cute. But I'm wondering... Does the icing ever droop down into the holes in between the cupcakes? And when its time to tear the cupcakes apart at the party, do they come apart somewhat neatly....or are some cupcakes stripped of their frosting when another beside of them is picked up??

I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried these! Thanks!!

17 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 18

droops if too soft or you push too much on (but then pushing too much on just means more icing to eat latter icon_rolleyes.gif)

easy to pull apart and keep frosting on each cupcake -- can use knife to cut between them if you wish (and then fight for globs of icing that got pushed on per above)

messy??? well no more so than any cupcake (unless fight breaks out for extra frosting)

elvis Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 18

Hmmm....wonder if mine's too soft b/c there's more butter than shortening. I may have to change to 50/50??

nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 1:24am
post #4 of 18

I've wondered about this also. I volunteered to make a couple cakes this month for work and thought about going this route. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 1:26am
post #5 of 18

Cupcake cakes are the easiest cakes to do...Ice the top and decorate and Viola!!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 1:33am
post #6 of 18

I love them! Fairly easy, and nobody has to cut them!

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 1:36am
post #7 of 18

one tip for cupcake cakes is to ice your board. if you dont the cake will slide(learned that the hard way). try to use the big tip to make a border. it will givve you a nicer edge cuzyour cupcakes are round and if you want it to look like a cake you want a strait edge. then fill in your border and smooth.

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 1:39am
post #8 of 18

oh yea, by putting the icing on the board you can push the cupcakes as close together as possible, preventing the icing from falling through. and putting the icing on with the big icing tip also helps from moving the cupcakes while trying to frost with buttercream.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 1:43am
post #9 of 18

Definitely stagger the cupcakes, otherwise you will have gaping holes where your icing falls thru, they are not messy at all. People love them!

elvis Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 2:19am
post #10 of 18

great! thanks for all of the great tips! i've got some spare cupcakes in the freezer and so i'm going to give it a try tomorrow!!

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 2:32am
post #11 of 18

Not that I have done a cupcake cake before but I think the only way they would be messy is if you start mashing them in your face or like Doug said...'FOOD FIGHT!!!"

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 3:24am
post #12 of 18

I glue my cupcakes down, with a dab of icing, as mentioned above. That way you can push them closer together. You also want to stagger them as mentioned above.

I ice mine with just a spatula. I like the curved edges of them. My SIL orders these all the time from me as they are easy to serve. icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 8:06pm
post #13 of 18

oh, and using the cake icer tip to lay done the icing on top works really well too!

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 1:39am
post #14 of 18

Thank you for starting this thread it answered a lot of questions for me. icon_smile.gif
Another question I had was, Do people object to frosting on the bottom of the cupcake from where you stick it to the board?
Thanks,
Emily

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 3:25am
post #15 of 18

I dont think people care at all with the icing on the bottom, they are there to eat! I just did a very small one with 6 left over cupcakes. It was so easy and fun to do. All I did, was place a smooth dab of icing on the bottome of the cupcake,arrange them in a flower like design, then used the icer tip to do cover top. Took the spatula and ran under hot water, dry water off then smooth. It was a nascar themed bday so I took a car cookie cutter, pressed it into the smoothed icing to get the shape and filled it in with black and white stars. To cover the ruff edges I made it as grass around the edges. I have not posted it yet but hope to tomorrow. My friend borrowed my camera! Try it, its easy to do!

nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:39pm
post #16 of 18

I remember reading on another thread that someone used those tacky dots (the kind they use to stick the paper on items). I just bought some the other day at Michaels..they came in a box of 300 icon_eek.gif . I'll be using them on a cupcake cake I'm making at the end of the month.

mom_of_4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of_4girls Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 7:58am
post #17 of 18

I love doing cupcake cakes they are so easy.

mom_of_4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of_4girls Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 8:05am
post #18 of 18

I love doing cupcake cakes they are so easy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%