So Frustrated...

Decorating By jstritt Updated 11 Oct 2006 , 12:45am by bearcreek350

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 17

I have a cake order for Wednesday, and I need an edible image for it. So, I go to my local cake n candy store to get one and she says that her printer is down and doesn't think it will be fixed by then. icon_cry.gif So out of sheer despiration, I call my local Sams club and Wal Mart to see if they sell just the edible images, and both said no (actually, the quote was "NOPE" - very professional...) icon_mad.gif The one time I need an edible image, and I can't get one. I really don't know what to do at this point short of traveling to Kansas City and looking for a place to do an image. I don't want to do that because of wasting gas to travel.

What do I do???

16 replies
Jenn1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn1978 Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 17

maybe you can just try to do a FBCT...I have never treid it but from what I have read alot of people use them. Not sure if that will work for what you're trying to do. Good luck!

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 17

Maybe a CC member in your area with a printer might help??? Just a though! Good luck.

tammiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammiemarie Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 17

I wish I knew of someone who could help! Any other KS bakers out there?

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 17

Call your local grocery store and see if they will do it. Albertson's/Jewel here in the Chicago area often will.

And try local cake supply shops - sometimes you get lucky and they have a printer. I'm assuming this is a photograph that must be converted?

You can see if Kitchen Krafts will overnight one.

The only other option is to call your customer and explain what happened. It's not your fault their machines are down and it's just one of those things. You can ask what they'd like to do instead. Maybe seal the photo between some of that Glad Press and seal and use it - because then it's foodsafe and you can remove it.

crylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crylynn Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 17

You should call your local grocery stores. I know the ones in my area will do them. You might also try some actual bakeries that do cakes. I know that many of them will sell you gumpaste and fondant flowers, so I would imagine that they would not mind doing an edible image.

Besides, at least then you can say you tried all avenues before you call your customer.

Just my 2cents and good luck!!

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 5:59am
post #7 of 17

i would say do the fbt if your having no luck with the edible image...time is running out...

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 6:05am
post #8 of 17

another alternative is is a cleaner look than an FBCT.

crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 6:20am
post #9 of 17

I live in Basehor Ks but its fairly close to Overland Pk, Shawnee etc I am new to decorating and not sure what you need but if you could tell me I would be more then happy to see if I can locate a place and then you would know before wasting gas.Where in Ks do you live you can pm me if you dont want it known here.

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 8:35am
post #10 of 17

How about laminating the picture? Wouldn't be able to eat it but at least the pics on there.

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:41pm
post #11 of 17

Thank you for your cake is due tomorrow (still no edible image) so I am going to try FBCT and if that doesn't work out then I am going to do a color flow piece. I will post pics of the finished product.

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:17am
post #12 of 17

i'm sure it's going to be great, i can hardly wait to see pics....good luck!!!

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:21am
post #13 of 17

I don't know where you live in Kansas but on the Missouri side there is The cake pan and they open at 10:00. I drove from the Cake Pan to Overland Park today, It was about a 35 min. drive.

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:25am
post #14 of 17

Overland Park has Safeway and the Walmart grocery stores I believe and they can do them in the bakeries there. You may try those two before you give up.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:39am
post #15 of 17


Colorflo takes 48 hours to dry

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:41am
post #16 of 17

Maybe a chocolate transfer would work if the fbct or the colorflo didn't work. It dries quickly, I use it all the time.

bearcreek350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bearcreek350 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:45am
post #17 of 17

I can't believe your Wal-mart said no! I got one no problem from our wal-mart for $5. Of course I didn't tell them I was a decorator. Just wanted to do a family cake, but they didn't really care, just said they would do the printout for me. Good luck on your cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%