How Many Cake Mixes.....

Decorating By Dundrumgal Updated 10 Oct 2006 , 1:30pm by KylesMom

Dundrumgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dundrumgal Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 19

do I use for a 10" pan. I've just started Cake Decorating classes and we have to take an "iced" cake to our next class. Teacher recommended we use "Duncan Hines" cake mixes as they are very moist.

Will 1 mix be sufficient for a 10" x 3" round pan or should I use 2 mixes?

Silly question but I don't know for sure!!!

Thanks for all answers.

18 replies
shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 19

for a 10x3 pan i use two cake mixes

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 19

I would think one cake mix would be enough. If you want it to be a little taller try adding in the cake mix extender recipe from this site. icon_smile.gif Don't forget to use a flower nail or baking strips so that it will bake all the way through!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 19

I don't think one cake mix will be enough, unless you're adding "doctoring" ingredients to it (even then, I'm not sure that it will be enough). I use one cake mix for a 10" x 2" round, so I think you'll need to use two cake mixes for the pan you're using. You'll have leftover batter, so you can make cupcakes or a 6" round or something like that!

P.S. - WELCOME TO CC!!!! You're going to love it here!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cakeladywalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladywalker Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 12:01am
post #5 of 19

I say 2 mixes. Your pan needs to be 3/4 full.

Dundrumgal Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 4:37pm
post #6 of 19

Hi everyone,

I decided to use two and the pan was 3/4 full. It seemed to take a lot longer to bake than what the Duncan Hines box called for, and even thought I used the Magic Strip, the cake cracked in the centre.

Thanks for your help.

Dundrumgal Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyjess

I don't think one cake mix will be enough, unless you're adding "doctoring" ingredients to it (even then, I'm not sure that it will be enough). I use one cake mix for a 10" x 2" round, so I think you'll need to use two cake mixes for the pan you're using. You'll have leftover batter, so you can make cupcakes or a 6" round or something like that!

P.S. - WELCOME TO CC!!!! You're going to love it here!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you for the welcome!!! I certainly have had a lot of help from Board members during my short time here. I'm enjoying the forums already.

Terrisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terrisa Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 19

If you use a flower nail in the center it helps prevent cracking and cooking the cake in the center as well.

Dundrumgal Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrisa

If you use a flower nail in the center it helps prevent cracking and cooking the cake in the center as well.

Thank you Terrissa, I'll try that the next time. I thought the Magic Strips were supposed to keep it from cracking but this time it didn't!!! LOL

Terrisa Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 9:55pm
post #10 of 19

I actually always use the strips and use the nail on anything 10" or bigger. I like to cover all my bases. icon_wink.gif The strips should keep it from cracking though. Only thing I can think is to make sure they are thoroughly saturated with cold water. I wet mine almost to the point where they want to drip when I hold them at one end above the sink.

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 10:04pm
post #11 of 19

The strips are meant to prevent a "hump" from forming in the middle - helps keep the cakes level when they bake. The flower nail helps the cakes bake evenly in the center, too.

Dundrumgal Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 11:52pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeys

The strips are meant to prevent a "hump" from forming in the middle - helps keep the cakes level when they bake. The flower nail helps the cakes bake evenly in the center, too.

You put the flower nail in the batter??? How does it stand up???

Thanks for the info.

Liz

Dundrumgal Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 11:53pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrisa

I actually always use the strips and use the nail on anything 10" or bigger. I like to cover all my bases. icon_wink.gif The strips should keep it from cracking though. Only thing I can think is to make sure they are thoroughly saturated with cold water. I wet mine almost to the point where they want to drip when I hold them at one end above the sink.

I let them soak for about 1 hour and then "wrung" them out!! Should I not have wrung them???

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 4:07am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundrumgal

You put the flower nail in the batter??? How does it stand up???

Put the flower nail in the pan flat side down (so the tip of the nail goes straight up), and then pour the batter in the pan. Make sure to grease the flower nail so it comes out of the baked cake easily.

Terrisa Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:35am
post #15 of 19
Quote:

I let them soak for about 1 hour and then "wrung" them out!! Should I not have wrung them???

I use the strips as wet as possible. I only run them through my index and middle finger once... enough to keep them from dripping. I've cooked a 12x18 for 45 minutes and when I pulled the strips off they were still slightly damp where they overlapped. Next time you might try it that way and see if you get better results.

Dundrumgal Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 12:43pm
post #16 of 19

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the info. I'm learning more here than I probably ever would at class.

Appreciate your help. icon_smile.gif

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:01pm
post #17 of 19

It's really funny how everyone does everything differently and still get good results! I never use the strips and I always bake at 625 and I use a wet paper towel on top as soon as the cake comes out of the oven to flatten any hump that may have formed, but I always use a nail on anything bigger than 10'. I didn't use one on my 10' cake and mine turned out fine...but it may be because of the lower temp and longer baking time....who knows.
I am rambling but, what I am trying to say is....every person learns different things and use different techniques...I guess just find the one that works for you and stick with it!

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:13pm
post #18 of 19

I always bake at 325, use the baking strips saturated with water (don't squeeze the water out), and a flower nail. I put a small square piece of wax paper on my nail - pierce the square with the nail and slide it down to cover the base, then spray with Pam and set in the middle of my pan. I am very pleased with the results.

KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:30pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the info. I'm learning more here than I probably ever would at class.

Appreciate your help. icon_smile.gif

This is a wonderful site! I have learned more on this site than all of my classes combined.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%