What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By Momofjakeandjosh Updated 7 Oct 2006 , 4:19pm by lisap

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 7

I made this haunted house cake for my niece's birthday party this weekend. I tried everything to prevent the house from slide or leaning, but nothing seemed to work. I used a very sturdy cake for the sheet cake. I used 4 straws inserted into the house and the sheet cake, and I even added a dowel rod through both. Still, it slowly leaned throughout the day until I put a cake board behind it and leaned it against the wall until I had to transport it. What could I do in the future to make it more sturdy? Also, I frosted the back cute and when I turned it around to take a picture, all the icing had fallen down, so I just frosted it up the back again. It looked terrible from behind. Did I use the wrong cake? The house was a Betty Crocker milk chocolate cake, and the icing was the Wilton Buttercream recipe. I really liked making this cake and it looked cute other than the structure problems, so if I could fix those, I'd be thrilled. Any pointers would be great!
LL

6 replies
mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 7

I am guessing its just because its so narrow and tall...if it had a wider house part perhaps?

really really cute though!

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 7

How level was the sheet cake it is setting on? To me, it looks like it may be a bit rounded on top?? I agree with the narrow aspect of the house cake also-that can't help. It looks really cute, I can see why you enjoyed it!!

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 7

I also agree with the narrow idea. All the frosting and decorations are making it top heavy. A wider house might work! Also if you dig a small "trench" in the top of the sheet cake for the house to sit in and then dowel and frost to hide it, it might give your house a little more stability.

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 7

It looks top heavy to me but it is very cute! I agree if the sheet cake is at all rounded, it could be your problem. Good Luck
Judy

Charmed1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed1 Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 7

I agree with everyone else's ideas. Also , try not using straws at all, use the wooden dowels for all the support. I quit using straws because of things like this.

I love your design! I especially like the black rose on the grave.
Great Job! thumbs_up.gif

lisap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisap Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 7

I used the house pan on top of a sheet cake once to do a barn and farmyard scene and I had the same problem. My barn started leaning forward and I finally covered sugar cones with leaves and propped "trees" up again the front of the house to keep it from falling over. Transporting it was a nightmare! I doweled everything too. I think that the bottom of the house and the top of the sheet cake both need to be perfectly level. I also like the idea of creating a trench for the house to sit in. Wish I had thought of it back then!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%