Copyright Laugh

Decorating By psurrette Updated 9 Aug 2007 , 4:57pm by gilpnh

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 6

Thought you might get a chuckle out of this one. I was asked to do a Patriots cake in Sept and I explained the copyright law on the logo. So I called the office of the Pats and asked if I could use the logo for a cake and they laughed at me for calling and asking............. The lady said you can go to stop n shop and buy a cake that has the pats on it and I explained to her that they pay for the rights to use it and I dont. In the end she said we dont care............ use it.
I guess they dont care!

5 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 6

What a surprise. I guess they've figured that we're not really making a lot of money on their logo. It's nice to hear that not every company is nutty about this stuff.

Thanks for the post.

Michele

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 6

OH! How funniee!! That is actually really weird! Are you selling the cake? Did you tell them this? My grandmother was using things for NFL on her website and she got a warning to NOT use it and take it off or get a fine! I thought it was kind of weird cause the stuff she was making was for like a $1! Big deal!

Well, good for you though! Now you can use it!

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 6

Who was the lady you spoke to.....can she give authorization on behalf of the Partiots?

Just to be safe, get it in writing.

BTW, anybody know how much it costs to get a license to sell stuff like this?

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 6

Probably because she was advertising using the NFL logo and thats why someone said something. She isnt advertising the Patriots cake. It would be different if she put up on her website that all she did was NFL Football cakes. Most companies dont feel that one cake is worth their time and effort over.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 6

The University of Missouri Tigers is big here and I checked into it once. $100 application fee then 8% of sales.

Heather

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%