Corelli Lace

Decorating By tminton Updated 10 Aug 2007 , 9:59pm by GenGen

tminton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tminton Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 14

I'm going to try corelli lace for the first time. How thin does the icing need to be? Any tips or hints would be much appreciated! Thanks

13 replies
adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 14

I just learned this in class the other day, and I was using thin consistency with a #1 tip. It was really hard to pipe out and keep the pressure and line consistent and smooth.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 14

I use a medium consitency. It works best for me.

melissa043 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissa043 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 14

I did the cornelli lace (my avatar) and it was the easiest cake i've made. Much easier than i thought it would be. I think i used tip #2 or #3 and i used regular consistancy buttercream. I also used the wilton tilting cake tray which helped ALOT. i was able to tilt the cake so that i knew the icing would attach to the sides of the cake easily. Good luck!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 14

when i get last minute orders i tend to do this one as its very elegant and simple at the same time. toss on a few silk flowers and your set.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 14

The first wedding cake I did was 4 tiers completely covered with cornelli lace. What a great first project, huh: I use thin consistency icing--the kind you ice the cake with and a tip 2 or 3. I've also used a little gel in my frosting to make it come out a little smoother and if you're doing the side of the cake, it really helps to set the cake up higher (at about eye level). I just set my turntable on top of a larger bowl--not too professional, I know, but works great!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 14

If you go to "ARTICLES" at top of page you will find lots of stuff to help you.

Here is the link for corneilli lace

http://www.cakecentral.com/article41-How-To-Do-Cornelli-Lace.html

Good luck

thecakemaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaven Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 14

having your cake tilted (like on a tilting turntable) is a huge help when doing the sides. This allows gravity to work with you instead of against you. Also, try not to use bigger than tip 2. Tip 3 or larger just looks sloppy in my opinion. A good hint for practicing the "randomness" of the pattern is to draw it with a pencil on paper, making squiggly cursive r's and s's.

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 14

I use medium consitency and a small tip like #1.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 14

The first cake listed below I used a tip 2, for the second cake I used a tip 3. I think it depends on the size of your cake when deciding what tip to use!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_761573.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_861343.html

tminton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tminton Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks so much for all the help. Definitely going to have to look into a tilting turntable!

GenGen Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 9:44pm
post #12 of 14

ooh me too. i saw those and went "ME WANT ME WANT" lol

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 9:51pm
post #13 of 14

When i made my first cake I used a large tip... i think 4 or 5. That explains why i thought it looked funny. Now I know for next time.

thanks for the info about the tip size!

GenGen Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 9:59pm
post #14 of 14

with this pattern you can't go wrong. any size tip works IMHO. it just depends on the size of cake; trim and other decor and or scripting.

honestly- i've done this lace pattern with tips from 2 on up to 5 6 7 8 etc. as bob ross would say we dont make mistakes we have happy accidents icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%