Short Notice, What Would U Do??

Decorating By shelbur10 Updated 10 Aug 2007 , 1:49am by shelbur10

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 16

I got a message yesterday from a woman wanting a cake, spoke to her this morning. Her DD is turning 16 on Monday and she wants 2- 8" versions of the green/teal circles cake in my photos. (Fondant, with ball border and circle cutouts with #16 on top) And she actually will need to pick it up Sunday night because I work Mon-Fri at my 'real' job.
I'm irritated because she saw this cake at a friend's child's birthday in May and JUST called to order a cake that she needs in 5 days. I don't have any other orders, so I can get it done for her, but I will almost literally spend the whole weekend making the cake, frosting and fondant, cutting out fondant pieces and letting them dry, etc and to top it all off, tomorrow is my birthday, so I was looking forward to having a relaxing weekend with my family.
Here's the rub, I could really use the extra money that this order would generate, not to mention the benefit of having another cake out there for word of mouth.
I'm considering charging her 2.50 a serving, for a total of $100 just for the cakes, plus an additional $50 late notice fee, which I will make absolutely clear to her. I will tell her that I need at least 2 weeks notice to avoid this fee. I'm totally ready for her to decline at that price, but my time is worth something! Under ordinary circumstances, I would already have most of the pieces made for this cake!
Am I being unreasonable?? I work a full time job and have my own family. I generally only do cakes for friends and family, very rarely for "strangers". I realize that non-cakers don't realize how very much time it takes us to do a cake, but still, what is she going to do if I say no? No other bakery is going to give her a custom made cake by Monday!
What do you guys think?

15 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 16

not unreasonable at all.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 16

SOunds very reasonable to me! Then you can take the $50 agrivation fee and buy yourself a nice massage!

Happy Birthday early!

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 16

i dont think you are being unreasonable. i would prolly do the same. some ppl geez

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 16

take that 50 and have a nice dinner anda bottle of wine (and a candle! ) with your hubby icon_smile.gif

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 16

I think the late notice idea is a GREAT idea! People have no idea how much time/effort it takes and that ordering a cake at such a late time means that you lose your restful weekend or need to reschedule/reorganize your life! You're not unreasonable at all!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 16

Poor planning on your part does not consistitute an emergency on my part.....Especially when I have birthday plans with my family.

Walmart makes great last-minute off-the-shelf cakes that have zero customization and look exactly the same as everyone else's cake. My understanding is they can whip one of these cakes out just for those people who have never heard the term "planning ahead".

One of the reasons the labor laws require "overtime" is for compensation for time away from family and for giving up personal, leisure time.

Shazzana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazzana Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 16

First of all.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU......

and second of all, i dont see anything wrong with charging the late fee. Good luck and i hope you enjoy your birthday.

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 16

i don't think you are being unreasonable, you are sacrificing your birthday weekend to bake a cake for someon else that you have no emotional ties to. i'd do the same, actually i've done the same. charge it!

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 16

I say yes, charge her a pita fee. : ) If she wants it bad enough she will pay. Let us know how it turns out.

: )

shelbur10 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 9:19pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks for the validation!! I called her back and left a voice mail, telling her to please call me back by tonight if that works for her so that I could get started. She called back (I saw it on caller ID) but didn't leave a message. I'm kind of hoping not to hear back, I don't really want to do this one...but if she was just calling to say no thanks, why not leave a message? Who knows. icon_rolleyes.gif I'm assuming she doesn't want it. I'll let you guys know if I hear from her.
In the past I've worked with people on their last minute cakes but it's getting to be TOO FREQUENT and I figure this will put a stop to it. I do feel sorry for the birthday girl who will end up with a generic cake for her 16th, but that's her mom's issue, not mine.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 16

you know if you go anywhere ( for example the post office) and ask for a rush order you have to expect that it will cost more than if you had your act together and didn't wait for the last minute....was her dd 16th birthday a surprise that she didn't expect icon_confused.gif

I say "All those in favor of instituting late fees, raise your hand!"

icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif
The ayes have it. Motion carried.

From now on if you give us bakers less than two weeks notice for a birthday cake, it's going to cost ya!!

mommachris

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 11:55pm
post #13 of 16

I also had a woman call yesterday wanting a cake for Saturday. She left a message saying "I think I may have waited too long..." Gee, you think? I just called her back and left her a message that I am booked until the middle of October, which is true. I was using my two cake-free weekends this month to have a garage sale and refinish my front door. Why should I change my plans because she didn't remember a cake for her daughter's birthday until 4 days before?

On the converse side, I have one loyal customer who booked her son's May birthday cake with me...in January. I love her. icon_biggrin.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:21am
post #14 of 16

from a business perspective, i wouldn't couch it as a late fee - just make your price per serving slightly higher. she can either take it or leave it. don't make it sound like you are penalizing her up front - that's just going to annoy her. If you want to make the cake, charge whatever price you feel apprpriate to compensate you for your time. she hires you or she doesn't.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:37am
post #15 of 16

Oh I like that idea. Just give her a flat fee that is more expensive. And if she ever orders again remember to keep charging it, LOL.

shelbur10 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:49am
post #16 of 16

Well I never heard back from her, which is pretty much what I expected. The $2.50 per serving was a little high for my neck of the woods, but this cake was a booger to make, I don't do that much with fondant, so it took me forever the first time 'round. I was trying to drive a point home with the late fee...and I guess she got the point. I would have happily done the cake if she had called me 2 weeks ago, and I don't want word to get out that I'm horribly overpriced, just that I demand appropriate notice.
I do wish I'd had a chance to discuss it with her rather than leaving a voice mail, but you can't have it all.
Thanks again for all your input! It's good to know that I hadn't gone off the deep end!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%