Icing Tornado!!!!!

Decorating By mommacakes Updated 7 Oct 2006 , 4:31pm by aliekitn99

mommacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommacakes Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 19

I just got done making a cake and I was getting ready to clean .... I took a step back and looked at my kitchen!!! It looked like a tornado of icing went off in there. icon_redface.gif It does not matter how slow and clean I try to keep everything I still end up with icing everywhere. Then I noticed me... It is on my shirt pants hands face and even hair..... I DON"T EVEN KNOW how it got there!!!! Oh well the joy of baking... icon_rolleyes.gif I need that vaacuum on TELETUBBIES to come clean my kitchen icon_biggrin.gif . He makes it look so easy..... Do you guys know what I am talking about!!!???? Well back to the clean up job.. Wish I could just snap my fingers and say presto and it is clean!

18 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 19

I certainly understand the desire for a magic wand to clean up. It seems to be impossible to keep the icing off of unintended places. At least, it cleans up fairly easily. Keep on decorating!

MSurina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSurina Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 19

Sadly, I do know what you are talking about. icon_cry.gif

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 19

icon_lol.gif I know what you're talking about. My hubby always laughs at me, no matter what I make I'll be covered in it.

If I don't have flour or frosting on the front of me - I figure I haven't done anything icon_lol.gif

GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 19

I did 4 cakes this morning and the mess was incredible!! I was beginning to think it was going to take longer the clean than to decorate!

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 19

I know EXCATLY what you mean...I just wiped down my upper cupboards that had icing and vanilla extract dried all over them. I have the slow start kitchaid and it doesn't seem to matter.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 19

I feel your pain icon_eek.gif I had that problem since I have a hand mixer (kitchen aid is promised at Christmas icon_biggrin.gif )

I was getting icing off everything after making it is I started cleaning out my sink really good and setting my bowl in it so the "overspray" pretty much stayed confined!

TheKookieWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheKookieWench Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 19

I'm forever getting flour and powdered sugar everywhere. When I think about it, as a little girl I'd be in the kitchen with mom baking and she never had a mess. I don't know how she did it.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 19

I do 2 things:

1. Keep my sink filled with hot, soapy water so that I can just toss my stuff in it.
2. I dampen a clean dish towel (or larger) to cover my mixing bowl when making BC. You can clip it in place with clothespins so that it doesn't fall/get sucked into the mixing bowl.

Oh, one more thing......keep the trash can handy! I pull it out from under the sink!

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 19

I REALLY make an effort to clean as I go so most of the time the mess isn't too bad, but yeah, I've been there! Especially when I procrastinate and have to rush getting a cake done. Like this morning !! I wish I weren't such a procrastinator, but I can't seem to get myself going on a cake HOURS AND DAYS in advance (the decorating part of it).

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 10:31pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommacakes

Then I noticed me... It is on my shirt pants hands face and even hair..... I DON"T EVEN KNOW how it got there!!!!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

That was me last weekend, making MMF. I got done and looked down and I had powdered sugar all over my belly!! icon_lol.gif

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 2:48pm
post #12 of 19

Oh no, it's totally not just you! I've gone to pick up my kids at school and came home to look at myself in the mirror and find a streak of cake batter through my hair and down my cheek! OMG, I was mortified! Must have happened when I washed the bowl out because I take care never to touch the batter once it's mixed. icon_lol.gif OH I was just cracking up at myself. I thought, I guess you know you're a cake baker when....

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 2:55pm
post #13 of 19

That is the ONLY thing about this hobby that I HATE...the clean-up!

McMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
McMama Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 3:03pm
post #14 of 19

I feel your pain! LOL! My biggest problem is the floor. It starts out clean, but by the end of the day it's a mess - and I HATE cleaning floors!

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 4:13pm
post #15 of 19

Been there done that!
Judy

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 4:19pm
post #16 of 19

Well I have to say I am thrilled that there are so many of you out there that make a mess...
I thought it was just me....I don't clean as I go...I usually finish at about 10:30 pm but it takes till after midnight to clean up.. icon_redface.gif

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 4:27pm
post #17 of 19

I am like you guys, I don't know how that icing gets everywhere. I think little elves must come get the frosting when I am not looking and then drop small amounts of the icing as they are running off with it. icon_biggrin.gif

jackfrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackfrost Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 4:29pm
post #18 of 19

I second everyone, my DH can't understand how I make such a mess!

aliekitn99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliekitn99 Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 4:31pm
post #19 of 19

I try to clean as I go and TRY to be neat. Last night after my DH took me out to dinner and after we got home I was messing with my hair only to find a glob of orange icing from the pumpkin cookies I had been working on earlier in the day! My hair is red so hopefully no one noticed...LOL

Happy baking and decorating everyone!
aliekitn99

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%