Where To Find Whimsical Cake Shapes?

Decorating By Stephazoffa Updated 10 Jul 2005 , 12:18am by Kristy

Stephazoffa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephazoffa Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 9

I'd like to try making what seem to be called whimsical cakes... but where do you find the pans? Or do you just use a flower pot tilted or something?

Here's photos of some online: http://www.aboutthecake.com/cupcakes_minis_whimsical.htm

Anyone know where to get started making one of these?

Happy Saturday!
S

8 replies
melodyangel1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyangel1978 Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 9

I personally have never made one but, I'm pretty sure you just use regular cake pans and cut to the angles you want. Hope that helps. I have read a little on the making of them icon_biggrin.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 9

These cakes go by a few different names, like "Mad Hatter", "Topsy Turvy" or "Whimsy Cakes". The best person, and perhaps the original artist is Polly at www.pollyscakes.com

She started the trend many years ago and her cakes can be seen everywhere.

There aren't cake pans that create those shapes per se...they are carved by hand. Check out the "Articles" section of this website, I think there is one about "How to make a Mad Hatter Cake"

Stephazoffa Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 9

ah, I see. Hum... then the cake pans need to be exceptionally deep or more than one layer at each junction, right?

obviously a newbie... icon_biggrin.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 9

I saw a show about the whimsical bakehouse. They make these type of cakes all the time. They don't cut the cake at all. They just build up the icing between the cakes really high on one side to create the angle. They use a buttercream with oreos in it.

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 9

I bet you could make these kinds of cakes by propping up your pans with a tin foil ball or something along those lines in the oven while baking. I think that would be better than having to cut off the cakes for the angled shape you need. I know before I got my oven leveled, my cakes would come out whimsical cake shapes without me trying. Maybe I should have tried icing them like they came out before leveling, that sure would have save my a lot of frustration with my uneven oven, LOL!!

meghan89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghan89 Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 9

If you go to the article section on Cake Central there is an article detailing exactly how to make the whimsical cake design! Good Luck!

Stephazoffa Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and thoughts! This is my first day on the site and I'm suprised and thrilled with such active and supporting feedback. Thank you!

<huge smile>

Kristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%