Mmf Pearls

Decorating By lilscakes Updated 9 Jul 2005 , 9:49pm by lilscakes

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 8

A lady I work with asked me yesterday to make her daughter's wedding cake for July 30th! Nothing like a last minute request!!!! Luckily it's a very simple pattern and she wants artificial roses and greenery for decorations on the cake. The cake is 2 round stacked and the top layer with pillars. At the very bottom of all of this will be a large dummie square with the fountain sitting on top, columns, followed by the real cake itself. I will be covering the cakes in mmf with a beaded border. I've never made the mmf beads / pearls before, but I recall reading a post somewhere stating you could make the beads and then put them in a plastic bag, shake in the luster dust to cover all beads. I hope this is making sense so far. My question is, should I let the mmf beads dry on a sheet prior to covering with the "dry" luster dust. I'm looking for the simplest / quickest way to do this as I can't see myself painting each bead individually! I am making the beads by hand.....I have the bead maker but it's too small. Will need something larger, so thinking I'll try the old pasta sheet roller trick and roll the beads by hand. Thanks for your responses....I'm making these today and will be checking the boards from time to time.

Lil

7 replies
naekramer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naekramer Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 8

Here is a link I found that might be of help to you. Good luck!
http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm

lilscakes Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks naekramer. I knew I'd seen this post somewhere a while back. That's just perfect...now off I go to make these....going to be a long day icon_biggrin.gif

naekramer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naekramer Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 8

Oh good! Glad I could help! Make sure you post a picture when you're done! thumbs_up.gif

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 8

I made pearls, before I found this site, and I had my mother over and we rolled fondant in three different sizes and set them in trays to let them dry for a hour or so and then I dropped a handful in a container with pearl dust and rolled them around and then rolled them out back on to the trays. VERY EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This sounds corny but my mother and I did it and it brought tears to the couples eyes.... We said a nice thing or a small prayer for the couple for each pearl that we made (est. 250 of them) and I told them this when I dropped the cake off at the party, the daughter started crying.

The daughters were throwing a 40th wedding anniversary because they did not think that their father would make it to their 50th due to his poor health. They announced what I said at the party..... the daughter said that their was not a dry eye in the place....... icon_smile.gif

bj icon_wink.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 8

bj that brought tears to my eyes just reading it! I love your quote too btw icon_smile.gif

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 8

A lady made me a quilt by hand when I was born from little pieces of material and she told me, when I was older, that with each stich she said a prayer for me and my life and whenever I use that I quilt (I still have it) I think of that and how much it has touched me over the years and what a kind and unselfish thing to do. I am just trying to carry on her kindness. Her name was Gladys Miers. icon_smile.gif

bj icon_wink.gif

lilscakes Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 8

bjfranco, that is a wonderful story!

I've been making pearls for the last 3 hours and am just taking a break...this is a long process, although I knew it would be. Certainly a good project for a rainy day or wintry storm day! Thanks to all for the tips and helpful suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%