How Do I Get The Icing All The Same Color?

Decorating By jtb94 Updated 5 Oct 2006 , 11:31pm by peacockplace

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a wedding cake. They want Ivory icing. I have a KA mixer but it only does 4 pounds of powdered sugar at a time. How do I make all the icing the same color?

9 replies
mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 10

Here's something I tried and the icing looked ivory to me...instead of using clear flavoring, well I used vanilla.......so instead of using clear vanilla, I used the colored vanilla. It added just a hint of color. And, it looked ivory.

HTH!

lhmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhmoore Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 10

If they are wanting a Butter Cream Icing. Go here

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/bcream.cfm

This is the recipe I use when they want ivory. And because of the butter it will turn it ivory. Hope it helps.

lil

azlorri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azlorri Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 10

This will work if you have a VERY large bowl or pot. Mix up each batch of BC icing to as close of a color as you can then mix them ALL together (by hand) in the very large bowl. This will definitely even out all the colors. But it's a lot of extra work. icon_surprised.gif)

Hope this helps...
Lorri

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 10

If I'm understanding your question, I would make the number of batches that you will need for your cake, then mix them all together in a large container. Janice

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 10

I went and bought a 5 gallon bucket to put the icing in. My plan was to put it in there and mix it but it just seemed like a pain. Thanks for the ideas I really appreciate them.

newcakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakemommy Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 11:24pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you Thank you Thank you icon_biggrin.gif I have been wanting to ask that question for the longest time. icon_redface.gif I appreciate the information.

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 10

I've done this several times. Just add the same number of drops each time and you'll be fine. When you scoop it out of your large container, you'll mix any variences and also when you smooth the frosting it will all come together also. I couldn't tell any difference at all. The wilton ivory coloring is very runny anyway so it's easy to just pour it out a little at a time.

CinWoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CinWoo Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 11:29pm
post #9 of 10

Honestly, if you just use regular brown vanilla you will be fine. And it will taste great!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 10

The five gallon bucket is what I use. It works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%