Second Thoughts

Decorating By Kelly4242 Updated 5 Oct 2006 , 7:17pm by kjgjam22

Kelly4242 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelly4242 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone ever wonder why we stress ourselves out so badly? Me and my two sister in laws have been working out of our houses since April (as well as all having full time jobs). Now business is picking up and we are at the point when we need to get our license and decide if we really want to do this. I love it, absolutely love this. But I am so stressed lately. I have been married less than a year and my mom is sick and I don't have anytime to do the things that I would like to do. I am the main one out of the three of us that handles the orders. I just don't want to quit now b/c I am stressed out and miss having my dream later.
Thanks,

8 replies
luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 9

I ask myself this same question everytime I make a cake. Was it worth the stress? Worth yelling at my kids (4) for two days? Worth letting my responsibilites go? I love making cakes, but it is a lot of work. For these reasons I have decided to not "sell" cakes. Maybe when the kids get older.

Good luck in your decision. It's not an easy one to make.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 9

You need to tell the other two that they have to help pick up the work load. It's not fair that you are doing it all.

Also, be sure to keep at least one day a week free so you can do things you want to do. Even if it is just to lay around the house watching tv.

Good luck and I hope things ease up on you soon.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 9

sometimes you just have to tell people no when they want to book you for a cake!!! Keep a ledger and keep track of what cakes are due when and make sure you don't over book yourself. If it becomes stressfull you're going to end up resenting having to do the cakes!!! Family first cake second.....it's hard but ......you gotta tell people no sometimes.....even if they are in a CAKE CRISIS and You are the only one that can help save them LOL

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 9

Sometimes it is very overwhelming. I am doing my first wedding cake. I didn't really want to do it but the couple kept on asking my husband if I would do it. So I agreed to make it. Last night I went to bed at midnight after baking the cakes. Only to have to get up at 5:00 AM to start my day. This week I hate it but by next week, I will be looking foward to doing another cake.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 9

Don't give up on your dream! But your SILs need to pick up some of the slack. And yes, family has to come first otherwise you won't be happy in the end.

Kelly4242 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelly4242 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for letting me know that is just isn't me. My sister in laws have a few more things going than I do. Plus I am the one that is more confident in doing new things and more artistic. So in the beginning I new alot would fall on me. I just don't think I had any idea how hectic it would be. I am doing my first wedding cake next weekend and I stayed up til 2 this morning working on tasting cakes for today as well as a practice cake.
I jsut hate to turn down business b/c I could use the money, but sometimes it isn't worth the stress.

aggiedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiedecorator Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 9

I did have to stop promoting myself about 10 years ago. I was a first year teacher and I would get 3 orders for the same weekend. I only did cakes for family events and the closest of friends. It is only recently that I've started promoting what I do again by putting samples in the teachers' lounge. You may have to take a break and take time for yourself!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 9

if you can take a break and re focus get your head together and then go from there. it make no sence to stress over it and make your life miserable. take a breather.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%