What Frosting Or Technique Is Better?

Decorating By cake302003 Updated 8 Oct 2006 , 6:40am by Estasrica

cake302003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake302003 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 24

Hi! I need help! I did a cake for a sweet sixteen and when I showed the photo to my family they didn't like it. They said that the frosting didn't look good. I need to know what is better in taste and texture. I worked with fondant but I don't like it. Get to sticky and ends all broke. I have all the recipes of buttercream or royal icing. But I want something that looks good and taste good. Any suggestions. Pleassseeeeeeee!!!!!!
I know this will help a lot of people.

Thanks.
LL

23 replies
Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 24

Is that the picture you showed your family?

The frosting looks great! I don't know what they are looking at, but the BC is so smooth!

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 24

What is wrong with your family? icon_eek.gif I loved the look of the cake. It looked smooth. And very pretty. BC is great.

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 24

Um...no offense, but your family sounds like they are just being jerks icon_confused.gif - are they always this critical of you? That cake is BEAUTIFUL and I see nothing wrong with it!

Icing is so subjective- everyone has an opinion on what is best. I prefer SMBC because of the flavor and texture, but it is hard to get perfectly smooth. I have come to terms with that, since I really don't like powdered sugar buttercreams. I say use whatever you like and can work with- you're obviously talented thumbs_up.gif !

Amber

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 24

I'm with Sweetamber, the cake is beautiful and your family, what were they thinking??? You have to decide what works best for you and for your style. Try not to let someone else's opinion influence you too much. You make a beautiful cake! Keep on baking and decorating.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 24

WHAT????? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

It looks great. Honest. Your family must have very acclaimed taste.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 24

Do you have Collette, Nicholas and Toba in your family? If not, I'd ask them to duplicate the cake you made using the same buttercream to see what they come up with. I'd put money on it not looking half as good as yours. What was it they didn't like about the buttercream? They didn't think it was smooth enough or they think it looks like it doesn't taste good?

You did a lovely job and I agree that BC is subjective. I don't think there is one that is "better". There may be some that are easier to smooth that others and of course, various techniques work differently for everyone. How are you smoothing yours?

p.s. Who in your family was this? Spouse...parents...siblings...kids?

chikki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikki Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 24

i only wish i could make a cake that beautiful! your work is wonderful!

tone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tone Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 24

I agree with all of the above!! looks great from where I'm sitting...

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 24

If your family didn't like it, tell them to feel free to make the cake themselves. Some people just aren't happy if they aren't slamming someone. Your cake is beautiful and no offense, but your family should tapedshut.gif ...well I dont want to offend anyone.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 24

cake302003 ,

Do you think your family mistook your perfectly smooth b/c for fondant (since you do have fondant accents) and "knew" they wouldn't like it.

Personally, I think your cake design and execution are outstanding.

I just don't know what to add that hasn't already been said. Where does/did you family get their cakes before you made them.

Are they addicted/used to grocery store/bakery frosting? icon_cry.gif

Please don't feel bad, you did a great job.

And by the way, can you shove a piece of that cake through my monitor...

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 9:35pm
post #12 of 24

Am I looking at the wrong photo, cuz from here it looks perfect. I'd show the family to the kitchen and ask them to show me how it should be done since they know so much about decorating cakes. That family sure wouldn't wouldn't be getting any cakes from me. Your work is beautiful so keep on baking.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 9:51pm
post #13 of 24

That cake is picture perfect .. I see nothing wrong with it at all ... no idea how anyone could say anything was wrong with it!!!

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 10:09am
post #14 of 24

That cake is very pretty. lol...they're just jealous they can't do the cakes like you do.

Maybe ask them (like others have suggested) to try to duplicate it, and see what kind of blank looks you can get icon_razz.gif

But keep on decorating, and don't second guess yourself! icon_biggrin.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 10:34am
post #15 of 24

Pwesonally, before I read your post, I looked at the cake and thought "I wish my buttercream looked that smooth." Don't worry about it. Like mentioned earlier, taste is subjective. If you want better flavor, just play around with different flavor combinations (like vanilla and almond, vanilla and butter, or my personall favorite - vanila and pecan - taste likes New Orleans pralines). You'll find some combinations you like and some that you know you never want to do again!

cake302003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake302003 Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 1:42pm
post #16 of 24

WOW! Thanks for your response. Now I feel better. I was crazy looking for a better way to do it. I was frustrated and afraid to make another cake. But like sweetamber said, my aunt always being critical to me, she wanted to be fondant, to look "perfect". But now I will not show any other cake to her. I will show it here, people that know about cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

Well, is this help, I use a spray bottle and put some water, then spray some water over the buttercream and immediately spread it with the spatula until you get that smooth you want.

lhmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhmoore Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 1:51pm
post #17 of 24

Hey Thanks for that tip cake302003. I think your cake is beautiful.

Lil

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 1:53pm
post #18 of 24

ugh!...it looks perfect!!!!

one thing i've learned as i've gotten older....

there's some people you can't tickle...no matter how long your feather is.

it's them not you....it's funny they have the picky people in every job i guess, one of my guilty pleasures is watching dr 90210....if he thinks the people are too picky and expect perfection.,...he won't operate on them.

trinh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trinh Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 2:02pm
post #19 of 24

Yea, like all the rest, your cake looks awesome. The icing looks smooth, the roses are cuties and the pink is awesome.

Forget what others say. You got talent you cake decorator!

Kelly

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 5:34pm
post #20 of 24

i agree your cakes are fine. they look great.

papu22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
papu22 Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 7:12am
post #21 of 24

just adding to the consensus - this cake is lovely. thumbs_up.gif

papu22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
papu22 Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 7:17am
post #22 of 24

oh, btw, i don't like fondant. it's too sweet and too hard. buttercream is silky smooth and has a wonderful softness in the mouth - and it's not easy to make it as smooth as you have made your cake.

geez louise, you rock! never mind auntie, and tell her that if she wants a different cake she can PAY FOR IT. icon_razz.gif

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 6:11am
post #23 of 24

what????? that cake looks awesome!!! i know waht i'd be telling my family!!!! you did a really great job....as for icing...who doesn't loooove buttercream???? it is soooo yummy....you keep doing what your doing, it is super!!!

Estasrica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Estasrica Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 6:40am
post #24 of 24

I would recommend using buttercream, it tastes the best. To get your icing smooth... put icing on with spatula, then take a scrapper card and square your cake up... then use a small credit card dip it into warm water and smooth it out. Don't use too much water because it will start to crack. Another method, square your cake up then put it in the refrigerator. Once it's crusted over... take the top layer off and smooth with card.

If your cake isn't perfect... play the cover up game. I noticed the cake you have doesn't have anything on the sides! Put some polka dots, corneli lace, or scroll work to cover the imperfections.... Good luck...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%