Sister Birthday In September...need Help With An Idea

Decorating By craftyone65 Updated 8 Aug 2007 , 2:23am by heidihill

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 3

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this site (and cake decorating) and absolutley love it!!! My big sisters birthday is in September and she loves wine. She drinks a kind that is in a large glass jug with a handle and I thought it would be cool if I could make a cake resembling one of those jugs. Any ideas would be much appreciated. The covering it with fondant and doing the label, handle ect will be tough but not impossible but how do I get a round jug shaped cake??

Thanks in advance, Sandy

2 replies
rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:53am
post #2 of 3

I haven't done too much carving but my best bet would be to draw out a template, cut it out and use it to carve the cake. Of course this would be a 2D version. You can find a bakery to do an edible image for you if you provide the pic of what you want on it. If you want to do a 3 d version them just layer round cakes on top of eachother and carve the top or use rice crispys to mold the top and the handle and ice the entire thing. Sorry, thats all i got. Hope this helps. Rosita

heidihill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidihill Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 2:23am
post #3 of 3

If I were making a 3d jug cake that stands upright, I would stack round cakes, then on top stack smaller round cakes for the neck of the jug. You would need to carve some to get the correct shape. Add the handle made of modeling paste at the end. I would cover the carved cake in buttercream and smooth out fairly well.

Then to cover in fondant you would probably have to do a long rectangle and wrap that around the bottom part of the jug and then do another one for around the top part of the jug and try to join them together neatly.

You would need at least one dowel/skewer through the whole cake to keep it in place while carving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%