Cake Box Questions!

Decorating By EmilyGrace Updated 9 Aug 2007 , 6:51pm by EmilyGrace

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 11

Hello! I'm making my first tiered cake for a wedding this coming weekend and the manager of the reception site has asked that I drop of the cake in a box labeled with the couples names and wedding dates. I'm wondering how I go about doing this? Do they make boxes big enough to hold a three tiered cake? I'm most likely going to transport the cake in three seperate boxes and set it up there. however it doesn't sound like i'll be able to set the cake up on the cake table. Do I just set it up in their kitchen and trust them to move it to the cake table? Sorry for all the questions! I'm very new to this!
Thanks!
Emily

10 replies
Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 11

not sure what to do about transporting..

but at my local cake store (wine and hobby) they do sell a huge box designed for tiered cakes..\\

I certainly wouldn't trust them to move it... if that is your only option, I would certainly have the planner/coordinator sign off on your invoice that she has received that cake and once you leave the premises, you are no longer responsible for it.

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 11

I wouldn't want anyone else setting up one of my tiered cakes. They wouldn't know which is the front (the better looking side - don't we all have those icon_smile.gif )
I wouldn't want them to store it in the kitchen either. I did that once, in an office off the kitchen of a restaurant - The buttercream absorbed the greasy fried food smell/taste into it and made my cake the most disgusting tasting thing ever. I have never been so embarassed about one of my cakes!
Find out when the cake table will be set up and then bring the cake down and set it up yourself. And take pictures before you leave. Then you will know that it was in good shape.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 11

I don't like this at all. Ask the reception manager when the latest is you can deliver the cake and set it up in its final destination. I've had to tell reception halls that I will not allow someone else to set up or move my cake. And I haven't done very many wedding cakes.

Totally off-topic... I thought you might like this cake I made for my neighbor. icon_smile.gif
LL

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I don't like this at all. Ask the reception manager when the latest is you can deliver the cake and set it up in its final destination. I've had to tell reception halls that I will not allow someone else to set up or move my cake. And I haven't done very many wedding cakes.

Totally off-topic... I thought you might like this cake I made for my neighbor. icon_smile.gif

awwe soo cute. I agree I would be VERY VERY uncomfortable with someone else moving/setting up my cakes. If they will not budge on this matter then take pictures of the cake and make them sign off on it. You do not want to be held responsible if some banquet person drops your cake in the middle of the kitchen floor.

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 12:22am
post #6 of 11

I think you are smart to try and move the cake in 3 boxes if you can. It's safer that way. (I never take my own advice and would like to take this opertunity to note that at some point a major cake disaster is in my future).

Add me to the list of DON'T LET THEM MOVE YOUR CAKE supporters. That just seems like a bad idea no matter what their reason. If for some god forsaken reason they leave you with no choice, make sure you get them to sign a release stating the cake was assembled and that you objected to them moving it. Also take a picture. That way you are covered if anything happens and they try and blame you.

EmilyGrace Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks for the advice everyone! Very cute cake Diane... such a lovely name! icon_biggrin.gif The problem I'm having is that this cake is for my husbands cousin and so I need to drop it off (and set it up), go to the ceremony and then the reception is right after the ceremony. I won't be able to be there right before the reception to set up the cake because I'll be at the ceremony! I really don't know what to do! The top two tiers are dummies so the cake won't be that heavy... although the top is FULL of fondant roses! The reception is taking place at a very well known (expensive! icon_rolleyes.gif ) country club so I'm sure they've done this hundreds of time... it just worries me a little! I also look like I'm 16 and people don't seem to take me seriously so I'm afraid I won't be able to assert myself if I get to the site and I do not feel comfortable leaving it where they've asked me too. The bride did give me the name and phone number of the manager so maybe I will give him a call and make sure I feel comfortable with there plan before they see me! icon_lol.gif

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 11

I would think most places would have the area set-up several hours before hand. Especially if the reception is right after the wedding. A lot of weddings last less than an hour and the hall would be scrambling to set up if they didn't do it early. Calling the manager is your best bet to find out exactly what needs to be done. Good luck.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 1:53am
post #9 of 11

I deliver wedding cakes every weekend. The country club will be set up early for the reception and they should let you set up the cake before you go to the ceremony. It's just non-negotiable.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 1:57am
post #10 of 11

My last post reminded me of a story . . . popluar venue that is also a museum and open to the public also hosts wedding receptions. I call the manager to establish a delivery time for a 5 or 6 (can't remember right now) cake.
Me: Hello, I will need to get in about 3 p.m. to begin assembling the cake for the 6 pm reception.
Mgr: We're open to the public until 5 pm, so you can't come in until 5.
Me: That's not acceptable as it takes more than an hour to assemble the cake. Will the table be set up and the linen on the table by 3?
Mgr: No. Our staff won't have the tables set up until 3:30.
Me: That's great. I'll be there at 3:30. Thanks!

EmilyGrace Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks Leahs! That sounds right. If I was asked to do the cake then I should be able to set it up exactly as it's supposed to be... I don't want to risk them setting it up wrong! I'm just not sure if the couple is having a cake table that sits out during the whole reception or if they are bringing the cake in later... the bride mention something about that in an email so I'll call the manager and figure out what the plan is! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%