3-D Rudolph Reindeer Cookie Cutter Set

Baking By rhondab Updated 10 Aug 2007 , 8:12pm by bobwonderbuns

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 17

From Mary Maxim needlework & crafts

http://www.marymaxim.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10054_3074457345616776004_-1_15009_15013

16 cutters (8 characters from the Christmas TV cartoon special plus 8 feet) for $10

16 replies
cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 17

I have something like these--got them at Bed Bath & Beyond for $5. Mine has the Rudolph, Hermey, Bumbles, Sam the Snowman--8 pieces. Mine are pretty sturdy tin. Have not used them--wondering if I have the patience to make them look nice.

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks so much for this link....I collect all things "Rudolph" and don't have these cutters...you made my day!!!

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 17

They are really cute. I am not good a sugar cookies and it would seem like I would have to decorate them.. I am not that talented YET!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 17

By the way, for any Rudy fans out there -- at Bed, Bath and Beyond they advertised on the box a "Hermey" cutter. Who the heck is Hermey??? Are they referring, per chance, to HERBIE the dentist?? (the one who wanted to be independent together with Rudolph)?? We still laugh about that faux pas, especially since it claimed to abide by the copyright! icon_lol.gif

cakeatopia Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 17

yes, Hermey was part of the "misfits". He wanted to be a dentist--ick!!! I like hermey, but hate dentists--lol

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeatopia

yes, Hermey was part of the "misfits". He wanted to be a dentist--ick!!! I like hermey, but hate dentists--lol

Exactly!! But his name was Herbie, not Hermey. (Trust me, I've watched this show every year since I was a wee tot -- just about have it memorized I do!!) icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

CakesbyM_LC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyM_LC Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 17

beware, i got these last year and had trouble with rudolph's legs fitting into his body...just had to spread out his body a little...they were so cute though!!

pikle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pikle Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:38pm
post #9 of 17

LOL--- wrong. His name is Hermey icon_smile.gif. I couldn't recall but found this link-- http://www.rankinbass.com/rudolph11.html .. I also got the BB&B ones, but haven't tried them out yet, I would love to hear/ see how people assemble the 3D ones.. I hope they aren't too much of a pain.

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 17

It figures there's an entire website devoted to this question! icon_rolleyes.gif I always thought it was Herbie because of how Rudolph says his name. (Not to mention my little Herbie/Hermey doll has a tag calling him Herbie!) icon_lol.gif Well he'll always be Herbie to me! icon_biggrin.gif

pikle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pikle Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:47am
post #11 of 17

LOL.. I know. Sadder that I was able to find it icon_lol.gif I actually could not remember-- but know that my box of cutters says Hermey LOL... but it sounds like it might be more work than its worth to make them-- though I do love those cartoons-- trying to get the kiddos to like them icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:45pm
post #12 of 17

You know, I have a 3D fish cutter set that I like to use and what I've found is using a "harder" cookie recipe works well -- sugar cookies are too flimsy and a regular rolled cookie spreads too much. My set came with a particular cookie recipe they recommended. icon_smile.gif

cakeatopia Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 3:46pm
post #13 of 17

Bob;
Could you share your recipe when you get a chance?

The one I got with my set is:
2 1/4 c all purpose flour
1/4tsp salt
1 1/2sticks unsalted butter
3/4c sugar
1 tesp vanilla extract
1 egg
350 degrees 10-15mins

Do you ice them when they are separated or after you put them together?

Also wondering if fondant on a hot cookie would work?

Enlighten me oh Superstar icon_wink.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 5:26pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeatopia

Bob;
Could you share your recipe when you get a chance?

The one I got with my set is:
2 1/4 c all purpose flour
1/4tsp salt
1 1/2sticks unsalted butter
3/4c sugar
1 tesp vanilla extract
1 egg
350 degrees 10-15mins

Do you ice them when they are separated or after you put them together?

Also wondering if fondant on a hot cookie would work?

Enlighten me oh Superstar icon_wink.gif

Why certainly my little Cake Addict! icon_lol.gif

The recipe that came with my package is:
3D Sugar Cookie Recipe
4 Cups All Purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Baking powder
Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl, set to one side.

Cream together:
1 Cup butter (softened to room temperature)
2 Cups sugar
Add and beat on low until well blended:
2 eggs, 2 Tsp Vanilla and
2 TBSP water (or orange juice or lemon juice.)
Add dry ingredient mixture and mix on low until thoroughly combined. Add a little more liquid if need be to be able to work with the dough easily. Heat oven to 325 and cut required pieces. Bake for 10-12 minutes [note, another version of this recipe says 15-18 minutes] depending on how large the pieces are or until cookies start to brown lightly on edges. Remove from cookie sheet and completely cool before attempting to assemble. Recipe may be cut in half.

Since I have the fish one, I've done everything from color the cookie dough itself (then baking) to covering with royal icing and sugar, then assembling. I'm thinking fondant would need to be cut to shape then applied not to a hot cookie, but rather a cooled one with melted preserves (at least that's how I like to do it. icon_biggrin.gif) I know you can use melted chocolate melts to set the feet of the cookie in a puddle to let it stand on it's own and one can decorate with melted chocolate too. Certain shapes lend themselves to creativity, which is why I love the fish cutter.

I got mine at sugarcraft.com, which unfortunately has a very bad reputation on this site. I will say however, that I have been ordering from them for years and have never had a problem. Their site also has additional info on the 3D cutters, as well as many new shapes available. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

cakeatopia Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:10pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks Bob--I am thinking about trying this project for son's teachers at preK. They have kinda gotten used to getting baked stuff for gifts(along with the book or Starbucks gift cards) vs a teacher mug(which as a past teacher--I have a kazillion).

Thanks again!

cakeatopia Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:11pm
post #16 of 17

Thanks Bob--I am thinking about trying this project for son's teachers at preK. They have kinda gotten used to getting baked stuff for gifts(along with the book or Starbucks gift cards) vs a teacher mug(which as a past teacher--I have a kazillion).

Thanks again!

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:12pm
post #17 of 17

Glad to help! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%