Can Cake Be Left Out Overnight?

Decorating By sondrad Updated 5 Oct 2006 , 1:33pm by dodibug

sondrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sondrad Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 9

I'm very new to all of this (just finished course I), but am making my inlaws' anniversary cake next week. Can the cake be completed on a Friday night and left out until the party on Saturday afternoon? Does it make a difference if it's buttercream vs. MMF? Also, it's a tiered cake so I can not fit it in a container.

Thanks.

8 replies
Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 9

It should be fine overnight, unless it has cream cheese, then it should be refrigerated. Also depends on the filling whether it needs to be refrigerated or not.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 9

I leave them out unless it is cream cheese or if the recipe says to refrigerate it and no one has gotten sick yet. The butter is ok out of the fridge and if there is milk there is not enough to hurt anything.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 9

if it's just regular cake with regular bc and regular mmf you're perfectly fine leaving it out!!!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 9

Hi sondrad! Welcome to CC! Like everyone said as long as your fillings are not perishable and your icing is a traditional bc and mmf you are fine.

Just had a ? for you-you said the cake will be tiered. Is the party at your house? Do you have to transport the cake? It can be transported stacked but it is preferable to transport separately and then stack/finish once you get to your destination. Do you have all the basics down for stacking cakes? If you need help with any of these don't hesitate to ask us! We want your creation to be beautiful!!!

Good luck and post a pic!

icon_smile.gif d

sondrad Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks. It will be Wilton's buttercream with just crisco and water. The filling is butter rum, but people leave butter out. So I think I should be ok leaving it out. Thanks again.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 9

Do you have a tall rubbermaid container that you can flip over to cover the cake? If not, you can get a box from the store and trim the top down some and cover with saran wrap and tape to box. I do this all the time, can't stand to leave my cakes uncovered.

sondrad Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:22pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks dodibug. It's good to know that I have support here. My sisters-in-law found out that I was taking a cake decorating class and nominated me to make the anniversary cake for a party of about 100 people. No pressure, right? I've been studying a lot of info from this website, and did make a practice 3 layer tiered cake last weekend. I was happy with it, except I wish I could get my buttercream just a little smoother. I've been doing the viva method, which works well, but I could still use a little more practice. The party is barely over a week away and I'm starting to get a little nervous.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:33pm
post #9 of 9

Start baking on Wed or thurs. Once the cakes are cool,wrap them in plastic wrap until you are ready to use them. This helps soften up and crusty edges you might have. They'll be fine for a couple of days-I do this all the time( I used doctored box mixes). Make your bc and filling on thurs, wrap your cake boards,get your dowels measured and cut and do your decorating on Fri.
Any more ?? just ask. I did a 3 tier anniversary cake for my g-parents not long after I finished course 2. So it can be done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%