Anyone Making A Halloween Cake?

Decorating By JoanneK Updated 6 Oct 2006 , 12:11pm by darandon

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 5:35am
post #1 of 54

If you are, what have you decided to decorate it like?

53 replies
crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 5:41am
post #2 of 54

Im going to make the candy corn cake and maybe put something on the top like a cat or spider or something. I know thats not amazing like all the cakes you see on here but Im new. I would love to see what ever you do though.

cakearoni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakearoni Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 5:43am
post #3 of 54

I have to make several for different events. cake walk at kids school and grown up cake for a party. If I cant find anything else I love may just do what Ive always done....half ball covered in imperfect, bumpy, neon green bc with gummy worms and chocolate candy eyeballs (candy section grocery store) kids love 'em and theyre super easy

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 5:51am
post #4 of 54

My Dd B-Day is Oct. 28th. So we are making a haunted castle cake for here B-Day. She is going to be helping with the cake. Her ideas are a grave yard, a pumpkin patch, broken fence around castle, ghosts. We have looked at several castles on this site for ideas. So we will be winging it alittle. She has the ideas in her head. She is going to be 8. And is so excited about her cake icon_biggrin.gif Is your cake for kids party or adults?? I think a haunted castle would work for anyone though icon_biggrin.gif

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 6:02am
post #5 of 54

I'm doing one for a kids party. Since it is for little kids and the theme (picked by my 5 year old niece) is pumpkins I think I may make the cake in the Wilton yearbook this year with the two pumpkins done in colorflow. It's a pretty simple cake (or at least it looks like it will be).

I bought the cake mix that is special for Halloween. It's like a white cake with orange and black dots in it. Of course I will dr it up though. But it should be a fun look.

Although the Cakemaven has a darling spider cake she did that I have been wanting to try. It looks fairly simple too. But then again, looks are not always how things turn out. LOL

Who knows, maybe I will do two cakes this year. I can make both of them and take one to the local fire station that is just down the street.

Joanne

dalechick12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalechick12 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 6:06am
post #6 of 54

i'm doing a severed head cake for a adult halloween party. I seen it in a magazine and can't wait to do it. it is a two layer cake with strawberry syurp poured down the side to look like blood with the head as a topper.

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 6:07am
post #7 of 54

One of the things I love about Americans (and there are many) is how you guys celebrate holidays. I think its just awesome. Halloween has never been a holiday here in NZ, but over the last couple of years kids have started trick or treating.

I may just have to make a cake and start a family tradition!

My 5yr old son used to be obsessed with witches when he was young (Hes okay honest! icon_lol.gif ), loved all the nursery rhymes with witches in it. Might just be a witch from my Wonder Mold Pan that just arrived a couple of days ago

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 6:07am
post #8 of 54

I was actually thinking of trying spaghetti and eyeballs for my grandson's class. Does that sound too gross?

cakearoni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakearoni Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 6:15am
post #9 of 54

is there a pic here of that spider cake? I ran the name Cakemaven and didnt come up with anything....can you point me in the right direction?

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 6:40am
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanmary

I was actually thinking of trying spaghetti and eyeballs for my grandson's class. Does that sound too gross?

How old is your grandson? If he's 8 or older, I'd say go for it. If he's younger, some of the kids in his class may be scared or grossed out, so I'd probably go for something 'cute'.

If you make the cake, please post pics.

RP

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 6:43am
post #11 of 54

I may reprise a cake I did a few years ago. I used the Wilton gingerbread boy pan, iced it with dark chocolate buttercream, and piped on a skeleton in ivory buttercream. I might try MMF bones for the skeleton this time. I knew all of those anatomy classes in college would pay off.

RP icon_lol.gif

KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 8:11am
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanmary

That is a great idea depending on the age of the children. Boys especially love gross things. I agree with the earlier post; 8 years old and up will love it.

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 10:29am
post #13 of 54

I bought the Wilton Jack O'Lantern pan so I am going to make one version for a neighbourhood potluck and another version for the nurses at work.

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 11:48am
post #14 of 54

I'm going to a big Halloween party at a friend's house. There will be a lot of people coming and going, so I'm making a Haunted Mansion/Building (so far just in my head, so I'll have to see how it turns out to decide if it's a mansion or a building. I think it would be cool to incorporate some dry ice, somehow. I have to get through this week and then I'll put it all on paper and come up with more details. I'm excited about it and can't wait to see how it turns out!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:27pm
post #15 of 54

I want to but haven't even begun to plan it icon_eek.gif Off to the gallery & my books for me icon_smile.gif If I find something great I will post it thumbs_up.gif

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:34pm
post #16 of 54

I'm going to use the ball pan and make a mummy face just for fun. I'll also do cupcakes decorated as mummy, w/ a spider and little green monster for my boys classes. I love halloween!!
Zoraya

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:43pm
post #17 of 54

I'm making one for an adult/children halloween party. The host wanted a severed head but I'm not sure that will be appropriate for the kids there. So I'm trying to come up with something not to cutesy, but not too scary. Any ideas?

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:46pm
post #18 of 54

DH birthday is the 30th so he gets Halloween cakes for his birthday every year. He is getting an 8" layer cake with orange frosting and a spider web across the top and down one side. A couple of spiders will have to go on it--he saw one on this web site and asked for it.

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:49pm
post #19 of 54

I'm planning on making a pumpkin cake. I'm going to use a bundt pan and make the bottom one flavor (not sure what yet) and the top another flavor and make a cute face on it. (I have little ones so scary is out this time) I bought the halloween candy molds (it has pumpkins in it and not sure what else off the top of my head) and will make some little candy pumpkins to put around the bottom of it.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:50pm
post #20 of 54

My second grader wants a spider on a round cake with ghosts and stuff on the sides, I think he picked that because he knows how I feel about spiders. I still have to decide what to make for my husband to take to work, the guys pout if I don't send treats.
I have cupcakes I have to make for home and the Sunday before I promised my MIL cupcakes for her church.

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:16pm
post #21 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakearoni

is there a pic here of that spider cake? I ran the name Cakemaven and didnt come up with anything....can you point me in the right direction?

Here it is.

http://cakemaven.com/photos/cakemaven_cakes/category1006/picture35.aspx

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:29pm
post #22 of 54

I'm going to try a pumpkin cake with two bundt pan cakes - fingers crossed! I'd like to try one of the ones from the Wilton yearbook too, but I don't think I need that much cake icon_biggrin.gif I'm also doing cupcakes for the kids classes, I think they'll just be plainish with orange frosting & the Halloween sprinkles. Maybe I'll get brave and try a spiderweb on them - I know my Spiderman obsessed son would love that.

-Lisa

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:35pm
post #23 of 54

I'm going to do the Spider cupcakes I found on kraftfoods.com

My kids have to take something to the school Halloween party, but the teacher said nothing scary. (He is in Kindergarten.) The spiders are just oreo cookies with candy eyes and licorice legs. (Has to be something easy since my sister's bridal shower is that Saturday!)

MSurina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSurina Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:40pm
post #24 of 54

I have two classrooms to make halloween cakes for...thinking pumpkin and ghost. My middle child's birthday is on the 28th, so I am making her a crown cake (for the kid's birthday party). Then there is probably going to be cupcakes for her school, and she told me it is her teacher's birthday as well on the 28th. Then my husband's birthday is on the 30th, so I have to make him a cake...thinking tool box. Thank goodness I can freeze cakes ahead of time icon_smile.gif .

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:10pm
post #25 of 54

Halloween cakes are always fun. The local school here is doing a pumpkin walk so I'll be donating something for that. Although they're looking for more autumn type of cakes as oppose to Halloween cakes. We also have some friends whose wedding anniversary is on Halloween so I'll be doing a cake for that. I'd like to do a 3D ghost cake, but I just need to figure out how to do the construction of it.

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:25pm
post #26 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdutcher

I'm going to a big Halloween party at a friend's house. There will be a lot of people coming and going, so I'm making a Haunted Mansion/Building (so far just in my head, so I'll have to see how it turns out to decide if it's a mansion or a building. I think it would be cool to incorporate some dry ice, somehow. I have to get through this week and then I'll put it all on paper and come up with more details. I'm excited about it and can't wait to see how it turns out!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Just be careful with the dry ice as it's not safe to be around food! Saw that on a food network Challenge and they had major points knocked off for a tiny bit of dry ice on the plate...away from the food.

louie750 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louie750 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:54pm
post #27 of 54

I LOVE halloween so I'm making all sorts of treats to bring to work. I'm making a trick-or-treat layered cake with the 3-d bear sitting on top dress in a mummy costume, decorated with halloween candy. I'll also bought some halloween candy molds and lollipops. and I'm making candy-coated miniture pumpkin and ghosts cakes, oh and sugar cookies....looks like I'm going to be busy!!

If anyone can give me advice on how to trasport the cake, that'll be helpful. I have a cake caddy but with the bear sitting on top, It'll be too tall. But if I decorate the bear first and then put him on the cake I'm afraid I'll ruin the bear. any suggestions?

olana11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olana11 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:56pm
post #28 of 54

this is what I did last year for my sons' class. I may do them again for my daughter's class because they're easy.
LL

louie750 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louie750 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:00pm
post #29 of 54

those are a great idea olana...and I bet the kids love that they're personalized.

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:03pm
post #30 of 54

Put a center dowel through the whole cake....bear included. Then he shouldn't move. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%