Flat Level Top With Crisp Edges . . . Asking Too Much?

Decorating By sk8gr8md Updated 5 Oct 2006 , 1:09pm by lindsaycakes

sk8gr8md Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sk8gr8md Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:41am
post #1 of 6

How in the world do I get the tops of my BC cakes level with crisp edges. The cake can be level, but I always end up with a domed effect. Is the hot knife the key to crisp edges?

Also, I've torted twice now and the edges always turn into a crumbly mess. Do I need to skip the baking strips so I have crusty edges?

I'm getting really frustrated icon_mad.gif

5 replies
cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:05am
post #2 of 6

Are you using a very sharp knife to cut? That should cut down on crumbs.
The dome? not sure what you are talking about it the cake is level....
Also, Magic Line pans make a 90 degree edge.

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 6

I have the same problem. I just took a cake decorating class and the instructor showed how to get crisp edges, but it didn't work for me. I didn't care too much because I was at least able to get the icing smooth and flat. To hide that flaw I pipe a boarder. But I would like to know how to get crisp edges instead of a dome cake.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 6

Use a crumb coat before your final icing coat. That will help keep the crummies at bay. I also wait a day after it's baked before messing with my cake and don'thave a problem when i torte. What I have found with the icing (and I'm still working on this mind you! icon_lol.gif) but get lots of icing on the cake using the big icer tip then using a plastic bench scraper (from the paint dept) smooth the icing making sure you bring some of the icing up in a high ridge a the top edge of the cake. Then to smooth the top pull those ridges over the top edge and finish smoothing the top. There are lots of finishing techniques you'll find on here to complete the look.
icon_smile.gif d

lindsaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaycakes Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 6

By crisp edges, do you mean the nicely squared edges, where it forms a perfect 90 degree angle??

When I layer a cake, I always put the cut layers together. So you cut each top, spread one with your filling, and lay the other cut side face down. (Maybe this is a bakery standard, I'm not sure!!) I use the Magic Line pans, which have a nice sharp 90 degree edge at the bottom, like COWDEX mentioned.

I think the trick to icing a cake like this is to keep your spatula level on the top, and STRAIGHT up and down on the sides. And just build up that 90 degree edge if it's not happening on its own.

Good luck!!! Lindsay

lindsaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaycakes Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 6

Oh, P.S. I second what DODIBUG said, about making a high ridge at the side, then pulling it over the top. I ALWAYS do this!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%