Unsticky Situation

Decorating By bethbyington Updated 4 Oct 2006 , 6:49pm by bethbyington

bethbyington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethbyington Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 6

I've got an unsticky situation. I'm working on a Nickelodeon themed birthday cake for this weekend. They wanted to have a lot of characters incorporated into the cake design with figurines, etc. I cut some of the figures out of birthday wrapping paper and covered them with clear contact paper. Now I don't know how to get them to stick to the cake. They are so slick now I don't think the buttercream will hold them onto the sides - any ideas out there?

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 6

you could put the wrapping paper figure cut out on a piece of gumpaste or fondand and attatch a toothpick or lollipop stick....when the gumpaste hardens it will be more than sturdy to hold the paper person up and then you can push the stick or toothpick into the cake. I covered photos with wax paper....contact paper would have probably worked better...but I didn't know much about cake decor. then...anyhow I think it would stick just fine to the side of the cake like that, just make sure you stick them on before your icing crusts over.

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 6

Maybe royal icing ont he back and then 'frame' or outline each one with buttercream or royal to kind of press it in place...only thing that comes to mind right now...good luck!

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 6

it seems like if you piped a thin outline around the pictures that you've cut out, that would hold them to the side. good luck!

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 6

I did that once, I ended up using a the smallest star tip and putting a border around each picture.

bethbyington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethbyington Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 6

thanks for the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%