Pollen For Making Stamens

Decorating By frogleggs Updated 5 Oct 2006 , 5:56pm by Sugarflowers

frogleggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogleggs Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 15

I am going to a gumpaste flower class that is asking us to bring yellow seedhead pollen (pollen dust to use on stamens for the flowers). No one locally carries any. Does anyone know where I can get some at or how to make some at home maybe out of cornmeal or something like that?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Tanya
Frogleggs

14 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 15

color some cornstarch, or finely ground cornmeal should be fine. I'm assuming you'll just be dipping the stamen tips into the stuff to get the look of pollen. when I do lily stamens I just use rust colored petal dust and dip into that.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 15

This is probably not much help here but SCott Clark Woolley's book, 'Cakes by Design,' explains in great detail how to create a whole variety of flowers, including how to make the 'glue' and the dough and all the various things to assemble the flowers, including how to make yellow pollen mixture. I dont have it in front of me and I have to go drop my nephew off at school. I'll skim through it later if possible.

MARCIAL66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARCIAL66 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 15

In my country, a friend used to used small pieces of a very thick rope ( from a hardware store) and and put like 10 thin streing together in one end with floral tape and then dip the other end in egg whites and then in a kind of corn meal ( the brand with a dark skin chef on the box) this particular brand has very nice color combination ( white & brown ) that can be use as the polen. I used on orchids and other gumpaste flowers and is a hit.

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 15

I was taught to use cream of wheat mixed with a bit of yellow powdered food coloring. Dip stamen (thin pieces of wire covered in white floral tape and bent slightly at the top) into egg white and then into cream of wheat.

peterlori1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peterlori1 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:44am
post #6 of 15

I use lemon jello, dry, mixed with petal dust to give it color. I may have gotten that from Scott Clark Woolley's book, I can't remember offhand right now. The dust mixes nicely with the jello, which doesn't have color and it gives a nice texture. HTH

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:50am
post #7 of 15

I am pretty sure I read in Toba Garrett's book that she uses cornmeal.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:56am
post #8 of 15

I like the lemon jello idea. That way it smells good too icon_smile.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:00am
post #9 of 15

Unflavored gelatin mixed with powdered food color makes wonderful pollen. For a finer pollen, I recently discovered "Fruit Fresh" mixed with powdered food color is great for smaller flowers or when a delicate look is needed.

If you can get stacked pill containers, these work great for keeping the pollen. I keep a whole stack of various colors and shades.

I make fine stamens with thread. I wind the thread around two fingers, then attach two fine wires on each end, cut the thread, and then tape the thread to the wire to "round" it off. To attach the pollen, I spray hairspray on the thread and them dip them in the pollen. It may sound gross, but no one is going to eat the stamens anyway. If I was making something that might get chomped, I dip them in my gum glue.

Fraying the thread with a nail buffer makes for fluffier stamens.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 5:17am
post #10 of 15

Sugarflowers,

One day I hope to be 1/2 as good as you. Your gumpaste flowers are the most beautiful flowers I've seen.

I noticed in many of your photos you say you use a chocolate gumpaste. Would you mind sharing the recipe you use?

Also, do you color your gumpaste or do you make them white and dust them all to get the color you want?

Joanne

Sugarflowers Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 6:11am
post #11 of 15

Thank you very much! I'm glad you like my flowers. I enjoy making them.

For chocolate gumpaste, I just take chocolate fondant and add approximately 1 Tbsp. of Tylose to a fist sized piece of fondant. You can either use commercial fondant or make your own. Most of the time I make my own. I do use Pettinice to make my gumpaste for show flowers, except if I need to have the piece in chocolate.

As for the coloring, that varies. Most of the time I start with a very light version of the color I want to get and then dust 2-3 different shades onto the flowers for depth. I have recently discovered that I like dusting the flowers and leaves as soon as they are made rather than waiting until they dry. I like the look and I use a LOT less petal dust. Steaming them is my next favorite step. It still amazes me what steam does for any type of gumpaste. It also seems to seal the gumpaste and prevents humidity from damaging them. Who would have thought that?

I hope this helps. I'll be glad to answer any other questions that you have. I have probably made every mistake possible while learning. Well, now that I think about, I'm still making mistakes, so I'm definitely still learning! icon_lol.gif

peterlori1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peterlori1 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 9:08am
post #12 of 15

Sugarflowers,

I love your flowers, too. Could you explain your method of dusting your flowers before they are dry? Do you dust each individual petal, ie, rose petals, before assembling? On lilies, do you wait to paint the dots until after they are dry? And I agree, steaming is amazing. I will have to try your stamen method, they sound like they would be so delicate looking.

Thank you.

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 9:11am
post #13 of 15

I think you can find bee pollen at most health food stores. It is yellow and in small crumbles...would work great for the stamens! I hadn't thought of it before...I'm going to have to head down to Mother Earth!

Sugarflowers Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 5:53pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlori1

Sugarflowers,

I love your flowers, too. Could you explain your method of dusting your flowers before they are dry? Do you dust each individual petal, ie, rose petals, before assembling? On lilies, do you wait to paint the dots until after they are dry? And I agree, steaming is amazing. I will have to try your stamen method, they sound like they would be so delicate looking.

Thank you.

I do dust each individual petal before attaching it to whatever center I'm using. This also helps prevent extra dust from getting on the flowers once they are assembled and you are only wanting color in specific places.

If a flower needs painted dots it depends on the the "cupping" of the flower. If it's going to be tough to reach neatly with a brush, then I paint the dots once the gumpaste has set for just a little bit. It's still pliable, but not soft. For larger flowers, I usually paint later because it takes so long for the gumpaste to dry enough to keep the dots clean. I also like to use airbrush color as paint. It's almost like ink, cheap, and easy to use. If you look at the Band Cake in my photo gallery you'll see painted panels. Those were all painted with airbrush color.

Have fun! icon_smile.gif

Michele

Sugarflowers Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 5:56pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeking

I think you can find bee pollen at most health food stores. It is yellow and in small crumbles...would work great for the stamens! I hadn't thought of it before...I'm going to have to head down to Mother Earth!

I'm going to have to look into the bee pollen. What a neat idea! Thanks.

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%