Need Help Quick! Please!

Business By KellyAnne1284 Updated 14 Aug 2007 , 7:13am by missmersh

KellyAnne1284 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyAnne1284 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 14

Ok, so I get this email today...I don't really know what to make of it. I'm VERY new at this (selling cakes on the side out of my home)...and I don't really know what this lady is asking for. Was hoping some of you vets could help me sort it out before I reply.

TIA

Her email:

Hello,

I am interested in learning more about your custom cakes. I am
getting married on Saturday, September 8, 2007 in Bethlehem, and would like
to find a tasty, classic, and affordable cake. I am looking for a
"presentation" cake of roughly 3 tiers...classic design, and then a sheet
cake made of the same cake for the presentation cake. Would you be able to
send me some pictures and pricing if you are interested.

13 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 14

1st question ---

and just how did she know you made cakes?

2nd ---

and just how did she know your email?

KellyAnne1284 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:17am
post #3 of 14

I posted an online AD in my local Craigslist...hope that answers both of your questions.

Now....can ya answer mine? lol =0)

U'r the best Doug.

KellyAnne1284 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:39am
post #4 of 14

Anyone?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:40am
post #5 of 14

My advice is, if you don't understand what she's asking for, ask for clarification. We can all sit here and speculate about what she wants until the cows come home. Or, you can send her an email and ask, "what do you mean by "presentation cake"?" along with your contract and prices.

squarepair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squarepair Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:46am
post #6 of 14

I would agree in asking her for an explanation. But..... my guess is, she wants a 6,8,10 inch cake, maybe smaller, and then sheet cakes for the additional guests. It would have helped if she gave you an idea of how many she was planning on feeding at least!!!

Kristin

KellyAnne1284 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:47am
post #7 of 14

Yeah, I love it when I get those, "I'm having a party next month, please give me prices on your cakes"......Um....HELLO! Are you kidding me? Would someone walk into a restaurant and say, "How much would it cost to feed my family if we come here Saturday night?"....too many variables...GRRRRRRR

squarepair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squarepair Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:52am
post #8 of 14

Oh and we do know she doesn't want a dummy cake because she wants a sheet cake of the "same cake", unless that means styrofoam as wellicon_smile.gif

Don't you love Craig's list!! I have gotten several weddings booked from there in just a few weeks.

Kristin

christinapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinapp Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:22am
post #9 of 14

Email her asking for a better explanation of what she wants.

Did she say she was from Bethlehem? Where In the USA is that?

KellyAnne1284 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:23am
post #10 of 14

Bethlehem, PA.

I have gotten nothing but headaches from Craigslist, Honestly. Hours and hours of frustration over emails, writing back and forth...and not a darn thing to show from it yet. I'm giving it another week or so then I'm taking the AD down. It's just not worth the heart ache for me.

brownsugarfemme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brownsugarfemme Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 5:19am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAnne1284

Bethlehem, PA.

I have gotten nothing but headaches from Craigslist, Honestly. Hours and hours of frustration over emails, writing back and forth...and not a darn thing to show from it yet. I'm giving it another week or so then I'm taking the AD down. It's just not worth the heart ache for me.

Did you give up on CL? I'm curious.

I don't sell cakes for a living - I do sell my business services (bookkeeper) - all through CL. I learned REALLY quickly that there are two kinds of people:

1. those who want dirt cheap ____ and think you'll do that cuz you're on CL

2. people who lack the time, connections, network to find what they need and use CL for the sake of expediency.

I quickly weed out the people in category #1 by emailing them back with my phone number and a polite reply that reads something like this: "I'm happy to help. Your email does not have all the info I need. Please call to discuss."

I refuse to spend my time emailing back and forth with people. In a phone call you get to ask questions and clarify things and whatnot. And, if you talk to them for 5 minutes you'll be really clear who is just price shopping.

I always close my phone call with a request for a free, no obligation consultation. If they are serious, they will take the time to meet with me. icon_smile.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 5:28am
post #12 of 14

I'm thinking she wants a 3-tier dummy cake for wedding pictures (presentation cake), and sheet cakes decorated the same way as the dummy cake for serving to guests.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 6:57am
post #13 of 14

O.k. here's the explanation based off of the "nonverbals" in her email...

1) The cake is not an important detail to her, and she's going to want it dirt cheap but she didn't shop for it early enough to get a baker that could have fit her budget without a late fee and is discovering the only baker left might be on CL or the local Wal-Mart bakery. Think about it, SEPTEMBER 8, 2007!!! That's 3 1/2 weeks from today!!

2) She wants a cake that she can take some pictures with then the guests can just have a cheap sheet cake.

3) Not sure what she's referring to by the term "classic" but probably a 3-tier something or other then sheet cakes that in reality are "Kitchen cakes" which she expects you to charge less than half of the per slice price for the same cake as the wedding cake.

4) If you're not licensed, watch out on this one!!! Pictures and pricing... yea, that one can go straight to the HD with evidence using your email. Just a bit on the fishy side for me.

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 7:13am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCake

4) If you're not licensed, watch out on this one!!! Pictures and pricing... yea, that one can go straight to the HD with evidence using your email. Just a bit on the fishy side for me.

I agree. It seems like a 'bait' to me. I would ignore it....sounds like even if it is legitimate, it might be more trouble than it is worth.
And if she becomes persisitent...I DEFINITELY would not respond!

Sorry to be a downer! (wah wah)
I am just precautious.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%