It's Slowly Taking Over! Are You A Victim.

Decorating By azeboi2005 Updated 7 Aug 2007 , 4:48pm by 4Gifts4Lisa

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 18

so i'd say for the past six months my mom has been nagging me to really organize my cake stuff cause "it's taking over the ENTIRE kitchen". btw, i'm 24, still in school and took up caking to offset college expenses. so after totally ignoring her, because i couldn't have that much stuff, i decided to go to lowe's picked up a good size shelving unit and put it in our laundry/ resereved pantry area. omg i can't beleive how much stuff i've accumulated. from pans, to bake strips, levelers, tips, flavorings, decorations, tips, fondant tools, tips, etc. literally in less than 10 minutes that those shelves were full. luckily i had cleared some pantry space so i was able to put my flavorings, gels, deco stuff, and other non baking hardware there. i guess all those trips to hobby lobby to pick up an item or two just added up. oh well...just a little funny story for yal! icon_wink.gif

have a good monday!
chris

17 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 18

Yes, cake decorating supplies are like kudzu. icon_wink.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 18

taking???

took!!!!

8 big storage tote bins + 1 moving box of pans

2 - 18"x48"x72" racks full

1 - 8 drawer mini tower full of "stuff"

3 cabinets in the kitchen full

and the KA out on the counter

-----

LOL -- love the kudzu analogy, kelleym!!!! perfect!!!

help, it's got my leg!

hmmm...

instead of "oh, I'm being eaten by a boa constrictor"

we should rewrite it to:

"oh, I'm being eating by cake stuff and icing"???

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:30am
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

2 - 18"x48"x72" racks full

I got ya beat! I have three of those full and need another two more atleast!!

I started organizing (once again) my cake stuff a few months ago. I got interupted in the middle of it and the cake stuff has taken over my cake room, my kitchen and my living room.

Sigh....

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:06am
post #5 of 18

I thought I was doing good when I bought a 7/8 drawer tower and started putting in the tips, bags, etc. I thought that my pans could fit in the bigger drawers in the bottom. NOPE! A couple maybe...but I also put books and recipes in one of them! I'm thinking of some clear totes or a couple 3 wide drawer towers for pans.

stacyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyd Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:40am
post #6 of 18

Since we bought a new house (without a cake room!) I am trying to figure out where to put all of my stuff! I have three portable pantries full, a old kitchen cupboard set plus 3 of the rubbermaid drawer things!!! It is crazy!

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:02am
post #7 of 18

How we accumulate stuff! One 10x10 room, one 10x15 outside storage, one 14x30 building and still need more room, from ovens, freezers, refrigerators, catering stuff, decorating stuff, bakers racks full, counter tops filled with colors air brush tips etc. Peg board in shop full of candy molds, cookie cutters, specialty pans,. My DH says he has plans for another storage building behind the shop for more stuff, I have more then surpassed his stuff which of course is tools and all that goes with it. Fortunately he just keeps building and I just keep buying. What a nightmare!

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:10am
post #8 of 18

My kitchen has alot of storage and not enough. I have cake pans everywhere. I have a desk built in the kitchen with a bookcase full of books and cake related stuff plus books organized on the counter by my workspace (designated for cakes and coffee icon_biggrin.gif ). 2 mixers about to be 3 hogging space. About 6 cabinets dedicated to cake stuff and 2 drawers full of tips, spatulas, bags etc. I don't know the exact sizes of the cabinets and shelves etc. but I have a nice sized kitchen and still feel I need more space. When we moved here, I thought the doors of heaven had opened up 'cause the kitchen was a dream...I still love it but I need an expansion icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

AngiesIdea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngiesIdea Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:28am
post #9 of 18

I know, my husband is about ready to kill me and toss my cake stuff out the door. I'm an impulse buyer and it's not a good situation. icon_lol.gif

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:36am
post #10 of 18

The foyer coat closet is no longer a place for coats.

And the pool table is not for playing pool.

Need I say more?

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 11:03am
post #11 of 18

The kitchen is full, and the laundrycupboards, the trestle table is holding 2 cakes at present, icon_biggrin.gif the assignment for my legal studies is buried under cake recipes and sketches on my desk. icon_cry.gif

I went out today to by a new bronze mesh sieve icon_biggrin.gif (it finally broke after 15 years, they dont make things like they used to icon_surprised.gif ) and came home with a new cake pan, 4 flavourings, 5 chocolate moulds, impression mat and 2 books!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_surprised.gif

When I saw DBF today at his work, he said did you get what you need? icon_cool.gif

Yes dear icon_redface.gif (might have omitted to mention the extras icon_rolleyes.gif )

This hobby is totally addictive. (Must do something about the diet I need to start though, have gained 4 kg since I started baking again icon_cry.giftapedshut.gifthumbsdown.gif )

Cheryl
p.s can I justify buying Toba Garretts book: The Well Decorated Cake at AU $25.00????

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 11:08am
post #12 of 18

Yeah - you buy one or two items at a time and don't realize how much you have. The pans are the hardest things to accomodate as they don't stack so easy and take up so much room. I finally bought a shelf from Lowe's and put in laundry room. I have things in plastic bins but am slowly outgrowing this and I just do this for fun. icon_smile.gif

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 11:30am
post #13 of 18

I remodeled my kitchen last year to house my baking stuff. Didn't work. I now have an entire pantry (6 feet wide) full of stuff, numberous cabinets, full of other cake stuff, stuff in the garage, and a cake room that we used to call a dining room. Seriously, we just called a contractor yesterday for an estimate for an addition. Help!

sweet_T7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_T7 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 11:43am
post #14 of 18

icon_biggrin.gif Glad to know I am sooo not alone!!! 1 cupboard in the basement full of pans, more pans and pillars on a basement shelf, a hutch STUFFED with
colors, tips, bags, RI pieces, cooling racks, smooothers, spatulas, more pans icon_surprised.gif parchment paper, luster dusts, contact paper, round boards, flower formers, color sprays..oh lordy God knows what else...cake books and recipes on a shelf above the puter in the kichen, photo albums, boards and boxes, ribbons a boxful of cake 'stuff in my room, cake mixes, puddings, jello, powdered sugar, Crisco, marshmallows, chocolate on my pantry shelf!!! Lordy! Gotta love it...Dh has ben a dream about it, 'course he has 'stuff' too LMBO...and CAKE ON! thumbs_up.gif

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 11:44am
post #15 of 18

Ha ha ha I have under the bed storage bins in my BEDROOM!!!!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:00pm
post #16 of 18

OMG, I must be doing good then! I have one shelf of candy melts in containers, one over the fridge cabinet for decorating stuff for cookies -sprinkles and the like, two top shelves of a 4' wide cabinet for spare flour and other cooking ingredients related to cakes, plus canisters that hold 5 lbs of each on teh counter. I have two 24" base cabinets for pans and cake boards, etc. and the top of a corner cabinet with three baskets for tips, cookie cutters and food colors. Oh, and one drawer for all baking utensils. I don't have anything else anywhere else and that's my PLAN to keep it that way... unless you take into account I have NOWHERE to go with the cake projector I have yet to try out because I don't know where to store it!!!

Melissa

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:53pm
post #17 of 18

Household kitchen pantry? No longer used for a place to store food for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It's all sugar, flour, shortening, flavorings, chocolates etc.

DH opens the door and says, "We don't have anything in here to cook, it's all cake stuff!" I just smile and say, "Yes dear, and should there be a crisis, we'll survive on cakes."

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 4:48pm
post #18 of 18

<raising hand> Guilty as charged.

I am infamous for finding Wilton pans at the thrift store for a buck or two, and buying them "just in case"...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%