Birthday Ideas

Lounge By mbelgard Updated 8 Aug 2007 , 1:23am by calley

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 8

I need help deciding what to get for my cousin-in-law's kid. His birthday is Saturday and he's turning 8.
I don't really want to get him a toy and I'm not looking to spend much. Does anyone have a really good idea?
For books what are kids going into third grade reading? I know he does okay in school so grade level books. I don't want to get anything too easy but I don't want to get something he can't read either.
I know he isn't into fantasy, no Harry Potter or anything like that.

I have an 8 year old too but he's different so I don't know what to do for this kid.

On a side note I'm a little annoyed at him. He dropped off the invitation today while I was packing cookies to freeze and I gave him 2 elephants for himself and his brother and he didn't even say thanks. I don't know what his parents are teaching him. icon_confused.gif

7 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 8

I get kids that age gift cards sometimes. My kids are 10 and 11 and for the last 3 years that is what they ask for when people ask for ideas. They love to go shopping and spend their cards.

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 8

yep agreed kids love gift cards! Let him go pick out what he wants from the wal-mart icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 8

is it too late to just make the cake and let that be the present?

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:57am
post #5 of 8

What about jigsaw puzzles, bionicles,transformers, lego , magnetix, or UNO,
......??
hope this gives you something to go on icon_biggrin.gif

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:23am
post #6 of 8

My DD is about to turn 8 and she loves games and artsy projects. Her newest game is Phase 10 dice, we all have fun with it! UNO is another good one, as Jules said. You can't go wrong with a gift card, but when I'm trying not to spend much, I usually like to get a small gift instead of a gift card, particularly with a somewhat unappreciative child (who might say "oh, you only spent $10!). Maybe a model car or airplane if he likes to do things with his hands.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 4:18am
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the ideas.
The cake thing won't work. For one his mom always buys one from the grocery store and I'm painting my living room, dining room and hall this week so I'm not really looking to bake.
Part of my problem is that this kid has so much stuff. His grandpa came over to help tonight and told me that he's into games, I know enough to know that it means game boy and other electronic games and I refuse to buy a kid that stuff. icon_lol.gif

calley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calley Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:23am
post #8 of 8

A great series of books to get a young kid are the Hank the Cowdog series. They are so funny. My mom used to read them to my brother, sister and me when we were little, and now I am collecting them for my sons.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%