Several Questions

Decorating By Sun11598 Updated 7 Aug 2007 , 3:06am by jessicacourtney1

Sun11598 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sun11598 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 8

I'm trying to plan my dc's birthdays (end of Sept. and end of Nov.)
#1) For the Nov. birthday I'm going to do Diego - I want to attempt a 3d Diego and Baby Jaguar - I have not done a sculpted cake (yet) unless a snake cake made from cut bundt pans counts. LOL I think I can make Diego easily out of the 3D bear pan - but I'm not sure where to start for a baby Jaguar that wouldn't end up bigger than Diego.

#2) For the Sept. birthday I'm probably going to use this theme/plates/etc. : http://www.celebrateexpress.com/celebration/pages/products/product_bd.aspx?SKU=FWD994&keycode=GAM-435&referral_id=gamh15&path=product.asp%3FSKU%3DFWD994%26keycode%3DGAM-435 But I'm having a hard time coming up with an idea for the cake. My first thought is 4 square cakes pushed together - each square decorated with one of the animals - the hwhole cake would look like the plates that show all 4 animals. The big plus to this is I could experiment easily with flavors/fillings - so that my friends and family (my only customers for now) would have a better idea of what I have to offer.

*But* I was really hoping to come upwith an excuse to try making 3D fondant or gumpaste figures...I guess maybe I could put them on his smash cake? It's for a 1st b-day.

#3) I'm also doing a Curious George cake for a friend in Sept. I'm doing one that I've seen on here - George on a pile of bananas...how long in advance can I make the fondant bananas and monkey? I am very busy the weekend this is due and would like to have as much done as possible beforehand.

I know you all will be able to help me!

7 replies
dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 8

That is sooo funny, my first cake I made for my kids was an alligator out of bundt pans!!! NE-Ways..... for the planes and trains cake you might try doing the four squares like you were saying but adding the 3-d figures to the top. HTH!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 8

One thing to keep in mind with figures on a 1st smash cake is that they could be choking hazards and you need to be prepared for a fit when/ if you take them away! icon_lol.gif I just did a bucket smash cake with a fondant handle and I just warned the mom to take it off after the first few smashed photos! icon_lol.gif

Isn't there a mini bear pan? could you make the jag. out of that?

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with the choking hazards issue, that is a great point.
I usually begin my fondant figures about 2 weeks in adavnce.

Sun11598 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 8

Oh - yeah - I wouldn't let him have the figures! LOL Now there's always the possibility he'd beat me to them, but I'm pretty good at digging stuff out of his mouth. LOL

There *is* a mini bear - but I was thinking of baby jaguar being on all 4's. Maybe I should just make a bigger Diego? I saw the 3D duck pan today and I'm pretty sure I could do baby Jaguar out of that...

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 8

So I am picturing some changes to the frosting to make his arms come straight down....

This is the only jaguar I am familiar with (a Lego toy...icon_lol.gif )

If this won't work then goodluck! icon_smile.gif
LL

Sun11598 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:47am
post #7 of 8

Martha - That would be perfect!! Guess I have a *need* to buy the mini bear pan now! LOL icon_wink.gif

Spongemom - Thanks for the tip on the fondant - I've told my friend that if my practice George turns out it will just be a few weeks old. LOL She's ok with that.

jessicacourtney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicacourtney1 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:06am
post #8 of 8

I always make my figurs about 1-2weeks in advance

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%